Battery Acid ( and lots )

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Repo

Battery Acid ( and lots )

Post by Repo »

When i first bought my 92 GS it had battery acid build up on the negative cable so i cleaned it off. Now 3 weeks later theres green dust overflowing off both = and - . Could this be a bad cable or just and old battery? My stereo starts its demo all over sometimes which would say old battery but never a prob starting the car.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

yea go ahead and get you a new battery there not that expensive, and you said this ones old. I recommend an Optima battery love mine and your more than likely never going to have to replace it :)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I had a yellow top optima and it lasted exactly 30 months just like it said on the label. I'm not sure about the red top.

Very good battery while I had it, but probably not worth the price for the life expectancy IMO unless you are racing and you need superior reliability!
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I seem to remember that the yellowtop is mostly used in car audio installations. The redtop might be better as a start battery.

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

I have a red top, so far so good
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

If you want to stop the corrosion do a few things-
1. clean the battery and cable neds with a wire brush
2. pour some Coke on the battery terminals (seriously, the acid in coke will clean the contacts and help rpevent futur build-up). I would bet diet coke would work just as well, and not attract ants.
3. clean the negative end where it attaches to the car and make sure there is no rust in the area. Repaint any rusted areas after cleaning the rust off- do not paint the contact area for the ground.
4. get some of the little rings that they sell at AutoZone to help prevent battery corrosion. Cost about a dollar and work very well. Basically all they are is a felt ring, so you could easily make your own. The principle behind it is that the cable and battery top are not touching and thus not attracing the ions that cause the buildup.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Repo

Post by Repo »

Thanks
Repo

Post by Repo »

Wait a minute thow?? You mean the bottom surface of the cables dont go down as snug as they can on the battery top? Leave a space?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”