Transaxle shaft C-clips

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Brad

Transaxle shaft C-clips

Post by Brad »

I had the tranny out of my 93 1.6 litre 5-speed US spec car for a clutch change. As I have recounted elsewhere, I had a devil of a time getting the right (passenger side) axle out of the case. When I fianlly got it out I thought it had a deformed C-clip because it was bent inward about 5mm from each end. The one on the other axle was perfectly circular, and it came out like it was supposed to. I ordered new C-clps from the Mazda dealer, and they are also bent, just like the one that gave me trouble. I am reluctant to install the new clips. Could it be there is a part mixup, or a design change somewhere along the line? Has anybody out there paid close attention to these things and do you know if it is supposed to be bent or circular? I am suspicious that the clips they sold me may be for the intermediate shaft, which I don't have, or for a different engine or transaxle. I feel like somebody has had the right axle out before and installed the wrong clip. What sya you MX-3 gurus?
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

No, Mazda probably gave you the right part. More often then not, the clips are supposed to be bent so they will not come off of the end of the axle. If the cir clips were completely round, the axle might find if's way out of the transaxle resulting in an un-wanted vibration and possible loss of trans fluid. It does make it more difficult to pull out and put in axles with the cir clips on. It does take some adjustment to work with Mazda axles. Sometimes they can be a pain in the arse and sometimes they won't give you much trouble.
Brad

Post by Brad »

Thanks, jaydog. I suspected it might be what you said. It even occurred to me that the circular clip on the driver side might be original and that the other one was a redesign to prevent the problem you describe. Guess I'll have to put it back together and hope I never have to take it apart again. Anything I should be on the lookout for in the way of damage to the shaft that might have contributed to the difficulty I had getting the passenger side out last time?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The totally rounded ones are probably from a remanufactured axle. My stock ones were the bent version, but every axle I've gotten since were smoothly rounded. I've only bought remanned axles, mostly from Auto Zone, and they have held up well enough.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Brad

Post by Brad »

Thanks for your information, Patdiesel. The fact that you are not experiencing any unwanted axle separations with the round ones is encouraging. Were the axles with the bent clips any harder to get out than the rounded ones, or do you know?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

It has been MANY years since I pulled the original axles out. I have not had any issues with the rounded ones though and would probably replace the bent ones with the rounded ones if I were in your situation.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Brad

Post by Brad »

:cry: Too late, I put the axles in today before reading Patdiesel's last post. I used the new bent clips. I'm just hoping that I did everything right and it doesn't have to come apart again. I'll know tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Return to “Transmissions”