miata headlights?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
nobodyhere671

miata headlights?

Post by nobodyhere671 »

i've been seeing alot of the new mx-5's driving around and noticed that their headlights are very similar to the mx3's does anyone know if they could be easily swapped in?
93_MX3 GS

Post by 93_MX3 GS »

hmm it does look pretty close ... it mite work!?

nobodyhere671

Post by nobodyhere671 »

are they projectors? and where should i look at buying a set?
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

They look close, but it has been tried before and they do not fit with lots of modification.

If you dont believe me or think you know better, give it a shot.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I drove by the mazda dealership and saw these in person... they are much narrower than the mx-3 maybe even a wider. You will have a gap on the top and bottom... good luck figuring out how to fill that.

LOL I'd rather have something bigger to trim than something not big enough that leaves holes... just my .02! :roll:
nobodyhere671

Post by nobodyhere671 »

i just saw them, and figured i'd ask... they looked better than civic projectors to me
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

It is a lot easier to do the job with if you swap the front bulkhead to one from a AZ-3/ Presso. There still is some modifications that need to be done but not as extensive as modifying a MX-3 front bulkhead.

As for the gap between the lights and the sheet metal. Originally I had thought about pie cutting the sheet metal and moving it down and filling the space with a sheetmetal filler. Look at it closer it was easier to use an old Hot Rod builders technique of bending a wire frame to the contour of the light and tacking it in place. Then forming a new sheetmetal filler panel. Once every thing is stitch welded and grinded smooth in look like it came that way from the factory especially since the MX-5 lights are also a factory piece as well.
nobodyhere671

Post by nobodyhere671 »

have any idea where i could find a front bulkhead from an AZ-3/ Presso?
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Yoda wrote:It is a lot easier to do the job with if you swap the front bulkhead to one from a AZ-3/ Presso. There still is some modifications that need to be done but not as extensive as modifying a MX-3 front bulkhead.
hold on... what is the difference between the az-3/presso and mx-3 bulkhead? by bulkhead do you mean the whole front clip?

I thought they were identical just a different front bumper covering... :?:
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

Hey! MOONeGGs!, whered u get those German GLASS headlights from.. germany? lol serious though.. im need to get some new clear headlights!
"93 Mazda MX-3 GS. Special Edition* 1.8L
Color -Rasberry Metallic. P-START Ignition*.
EuroLITE Dash Gauge* 77,000/m
#2nd Mx-3 Owner.
Mazda. Get in. Be M o v e d .
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

LOL I wish they were german because then they would be auto-leveling! :laugh:

but mine are from a RHD UK mx-3 :roll: and I got lucky in finding them and the cheap price I paid.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”