Transmission removal

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Brad

Transmission removal

Post by Brad »

I am removing the manual 5-speed in a 1.6 L car to repair the clutch. I can't get the axle shafts free of the transaxle housing. I'm afraid to use too much force. How hard should they be to pull out, and is there something I may be overlooking to free them up? The shafts are free of the hubs, so the only thing holding them in the car are the stub shafts.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

prybars.. pop them out, I would replace the axle seals while the tranny is out.
Brad

Post by Brad »

Custommx3 wrote:prybars.. pop them out, I would replace the axle seals while the tranny is out.
Thanks for the advice, Barry. I was able to get the left one from above and it came out pretty easily. Still working from below on the right one, but I'm not afraid to put some force on it now. Good advice about the new seals!
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

The drivers side axle is a PITA. You will need to use a lot of force to pop the lock ring. Use a big pry bar.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brad

Post by Brad »

Well, I'm baaack! I gave the tranny a rest after I got it out of the car with the passenger side driveshaft still attached. I took it out to replace the clutch, which is done. Unfortunately, in the process of banging on the axle I boogered up the passenger side axle seal. I was going to replace the seals anyway, but now I definitely have to get the axle out to replace the seal. The driver's side came out easily enough, but even with the tranny out of the car I am having no luck on the passenger side.What is a PITA? I was told by 2 different mechanics the same thing you guys on the forum said about getting them out. They also said that sometimes they don't come out. Unfortunately, it's too late for that option. I don't want to junk this car! Anybody have any new ideas?
Brad

Post by Brad »

It just ocurred to me that maybe I need to clarify which side of the car I'm dealing with. It's a US car, so the driver's side is on the left, and the axle that's stuck is the passenger side, on the right.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

You can place a long wratchet extension in the passanger axle hole and knock the drivers side out. It is easier, but slightly more risky. DO NOT rotate the diff when both axles are out or the spider gears will fall out. Do not hit the diff pin with the extension. Use a flashlight to see that the extension makes it to the other axle and you are not banging the diff pin. If the extension is too fat you can use anything that is blunt, long enough and strong enough. (dirty minds need not aplly anything here :lol: ) Once you get it out it will go in and out much more easily. Years of heat and pressure really get them stuck.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

I have the same problem with the same side, I used a bigger flathead screw drive r and a hammer and hit it and it poped out nicely.. Mind you, i did it while the tranny was removed.
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
Brad

Post by Brad »

THanks guys. I tried knocking it out from the other side while it was still in the car, but now that I have better access, I'll try it again. Still wondering what a PITA is.
Brad

Post by Brad »

So far all i've done is nick the end of the axle shaft by beating on it. Any other ideas? I'm trying to compress the clip that holds the axle in, but no luck so far. Not sure I can even see it. Eyes aren't what they used to be. Anyway, I figured out what PITA is; duh....
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I'd never tried beating it out from the passenger side... but I usually use a prybar and get under the edge of it and then beat on the prybar to pop it out... it just takes patience... one good knock will get it out!
Brad

Post by Brad »

Thanks for the encouragement, Mooneggs. Nothing left but to keep trying. :?
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I've done both cv axle replacements a dozen times. I've uses a screwdriver, pickle fork, and chisel with hitting it with a sledgehammer to pop it out.

There's only a C clamp holding it in. Maybe it's rusted.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Brad

Post by Brad »

Well fella, I got the stubborn axle out and the cluthc in. I used some little wedges I made from small rods to compress the c-clip. It was tedious! Anyway, if anybody wants to know more about this techniqe, post your phone # and I'll explain. MEantime, I have a little nylon or polyproylene sleve about the diameter of one of the transmission to oil pan bolts that fell out during the removal provess. Anybody know where it goes?

Return to “Transmissions”