intake hose "cracks"

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mxhooptie

intake hose "cracks"

Post by mxhooptie »

i read about this a lot in the forum.

"tiny cracks" on the intake hose can cause vacuum leaks.

but just how tiny can they be?

my intake hose has tiny cracks all over the goose neck, but they don't go through all the way in, they're only on the surface. should i consider that a source of a vacuum leak?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Try doing a tight wrap with duct tape and see if it seals it. If you have vacuum leak symptoms.. its worth the effort if you see those cracks.. even just one small crack that goes through (that you may not see) can cause issues.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

You can try spraying wd-40 around the intake tube while the engine is idling - if the rpms change then there is a leak.

Some use lighter fluid or propane gas instead of wd-40- but thats extremely dangerous IMO.....
mxhooptie

Post by mxhooptie »

i'll try that. thanks. :D
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Hot darn Shaseem, use brake parts cleaner or intake cleaner before you use something explosive like propane or lighter fluid. WD-40 works well, but leaves a sheen of grease. I would use intake cleaner. If it gets through you are cleaning and learing that you have a leak and it will raise the RPMs just like any of the others so that you know you have a leak.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mxhooptie

Post by mxhooptie »

will carb cleaner work?

i have some left over. i don't wanna have to buy a whole new can of something just for a test if i have something laying around that can do the job.
mrpyrex

Post by mrpyrex »

if you do have a vacum leak, could it cause the engine to idle too high?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”