Swap?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
erixon

Swap?

Post by erixon »

Hey everyone, I have been kind of sidelined from my intake project for a little while, as my mx-3 is on the fritz all of a sudden, I am just wondering, what is the easiest upgrade as far as a swap from a DOHC 1.6L. I know a guy with a smashed up mx-6 that he is willing to sell for 800$. But I don't know how easy this is to swap, I want something thats generally easy, as I wont be doing the swap, I would have to take it somewhere for this big of a project. I don't trust myself with something this big. lol
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

I believe you will have problems with mx6 stuff.

But the 90-94 protege LX BP 1.8L DOHC motor is one of the easiest swaps, for us 4 cylinder guys. More or less its plug and play for the 93 and down MXs.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
luisitol

Post by luisitol »

THe mx6 stuff will be good for the motor and ECU, but you'll need some GS components to do the swap correctly.
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

Like I said. Wont be easy doing the mx6 swap.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Depends which MX-6 it is. If it's the 4 cyl. version, you'll be doing some custom motor mounts, but the engine WILL fit.

It's not too powerful of a motor, but it's able to take a bit of boosting. I do believe it's the... F2N? Correct me if I'm wrong.

If it's the 6 cyl. MX-6, it WOULD be an easy swap... IF you had the 6 cyl version of the MX-3. Otherwise you'll need to be swapping out parts from teh MX-3 GS to the RS.

But even then, people often document the 4 cyl swaps with the SOHC 1.6L.

It's hard to find information on swapping 1.6L DOHC. Wiring harness isn't kind.

Not saying it's not possible, but you'll a greater knowledge of wiring. Not many people will be able to assist you in the swap.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”