who actually HAS an over bored TB?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

will any performance shop do this or do i gotta send it to one of thoes guys... and any one done it on a k8 ?
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I had one. It cost me about 250ish i think....45 for the t/b & about 205-215 to ship it & have it reshipped back to me via a probetalk groupbuy wayyy back in early 2005.

It was a KL47 millenia throttle body that was bored to 67mm.

I got it back with the butterfly welded to the shaft, and i could see a bit of light through the bottom of it. When i installed it...it wouldnt' idle below 1200 no matter what I did, so I ended up fixing it by dabbing some silicone sealant on the edge of the butterfly plate to fill the gap. worked like a charm, could set the idle to 700 no probs.

As for power, I noticed no difference at all even at high RPM. Forced induction I hear these help a lot, but NA I didn't see any improvement (never dyno'd but i heard claims of 8whp at high rpms, which i should be able to feel).

Since it would occasionally have erratic idle I decided to revert back to a stock T/B & sell the 67mm bored unit...i forget how much i sold it for but it wasn't at much of a loss, if any.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Tommy D

Post by Tommy D »

What is the IAC modification that must be done to fit the 68mm Mongsport TB. They are just £65 after exchange so i need to get one but i am not sure what modifications need to be done. 64mm ones fit straight on but 68mm need IAC modified. What does this mean Guys?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Gro Harlem wrote:I had one. It cost me about 250ish i think....45 for the t/b & about 205-215 to ship it & have it reshipped back to me via a probetalk groupbuy wayyy back in early 2005.

It was a KL47 millenia throttle body that was bored to 67mm.

I got it back with the butterfly welded to the shaft, and i could see a bit of light through the bottom of it. When i installed it...it wouldnt' idle below 1200 no matter what I did, so I ended up fixing it by dabbing some silicone sealant on the edge of the butterfly plate to fill the gap. worked like a charm, could set the idle to 700 no probs.

As for power, I noticed no difference at all even at high RPM. Forced induction I hear these help a lot, but NA I didn't see any improvement (never dyno'd but i heard claims of 8whp at high rpms, which i should be able to feel).

Since it would occasionally have erratic idle I decided to revert back to a stock T/B & sell the 67mm bored unit...i forget how much i sold it for but it wasn't at much of a loss, if any.
That's not the TB i got from you, is it?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

w00t my throttle body is done, i shoiuld get it sometime this week.. w00t.. i hope I dont have idle issues.. on the other hand..i was looking at a millenia manifold and the tb did not say the same codes as mine.. it looked different.. odd.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

so I finally got around to taking a pic of my big bored TB. It is from a k8... if my math is right it is in between 69 and 70 mm... it was right over the 2 3/4 inches mark on the tape... so 2.54 cm x 2.76 in = 7.01

if my calculations are off please correct me! either way - it's BIG!
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Correct me if im wrong but i dont think that is 70mm, below you will see some pics of my 67mm and you will notice that mine has no steps like yours does a tthe opening, it is cut straight through. You would need to measure the inside of the top step.

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

yeah I think I need to use a different (more accurate) tape measure too :roll:

the little steps are not even that big of a player... the angle from which I took the picture does not do it justice and makes them look more raised than they actually are... but you are probably right it's probably only 68 mm max... *sighs*

I think I rememeber reading that the kl series TB's could only be bored out so far but the K8 could be bored further...I could be wrong...

here's my stock k8 TB on my other car... you can see the potential...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”