K8 heads on a KL???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
S13Girly

K8 heads on a KL???

Post by S13Girly »

Hi

I've had a search of the forum but I still can't find an answer :( will the heads fromt eh K8 fit on the KL25DE eninge, obviously I'll need to swap the cams but will the rest be fine?
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

they will blt on and work and all but would be a massive power loss. why are you asking? do you mybe have a set laying around and need new head on a de, you should try and find some de heads or even klze ones, k8 ones will restrict performance alot, you will also have issues with head gaskets and such, not worth the hassle at all!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
S13Girly

Post by S13Girly »

Yep pretty much :(

My DE heads are tapping lkike a bad copy of lord of the dance but with less style and grace :lol:

ZE heads would be great but are pretty hard and expensive to come across in the UK so looks liek I'm going to be searching a new set of DE's

Thanks for the help
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

hmm, would that mean I could use some DE heads & cams on my K8 aswell? :)

Probably wouldnt be noticeable though.

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
DimaK

Post by DimaK »

goys headgarkets are identical, so are the intake and exhaust from KLDE to K8, they are the same part numbers at the dealship, i used to work for mazda.and actually DE heads on K8 with DE IM, would work really well.cuz K8 heads and IM are stricted like crazy
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Yea There exactly the same, infact when you do all this work pull the timing belt off a rotory cause it will make you faster as well....

Mx3autozam is right, they will bolt up, but your going to have lots of issues and the headgaskets would have to be custom made because there not the same.

For some Heads up so your not MISLEAD:

On the headgaskets the k8 the diameter of the holes that fit over the cyl are 75mm on the kls the diameter are 84.5mm Exactly the same huh? Thats why the mazda parts numbers even dont match up right? And he is also wrong about the part numbers matching up, 10-271B 10-272B, 10-271A 10-271B, ok you matched 1 headgasket not BOTH headgaskets, need i keep going on, i have the mazda parts software on my computer

and for even more:

k8

kl

k8 Layered over the kl and rotated so there exactly in the same position, notice how alot of the holes dont line up 100% and notice how the cyl holes on the k8s are smaller.

Last edited by Mnemonic on June 13th, 2007, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

oh and if you think its just the image size not matching up, ithats not it, i've already tried to get everything to align prefectly by adjust size and shape, and it wont happen, because they are not exactly the same :)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
DimaK

Post by DimaK »

hmm, that's wierd, cuz i just bought an MX3 with broken valve, so i had to pull the head off. and i had a spear fron t headgasket form klze that went in my probe, and i pu tit in just fine, i even called my old work(mazda dealership and asked) they said they were the same, the only thing i can think of is US models beaing slightly different from Canadian, but i doubt that

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”