[WTB] taller 5th gear for v6 mtx

Looking for an Item you'd like to buy? Post here.
This section is NOT for selling.
b3atbxr

[WTB] taller 5th gear for v6 mtx

Post by b3atbxr »

i am looking for the taller 5th gear in the mtx v6. i think the mx6's came w/ it. also, does anyone know what the engine code k8 [A] means? i know k8 means 1.8 v6. but i am wondering what the different engine codes are for the 130hp 135hp and the 145hp motors?
thanks!
-95 GS PRECIDIA (triple black)
-02 WRX
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The Mx-6 doesn't have a taller 5th gear, but it's gearing (along with the 626) is just taller in general, having a 4.11:1 ratio instead of our stock (and Probe;s) 4.38:1, but you can swap it in. There's a guide on a how-to listed here:

http://www.imazda.com/forums/showthread ... light=gear
(will need to register)

But your best bet would be to check with Mx-6/626 and even Probe forums, seems a farily common swap with the Probe guys to put the longer geared tranny in). Since Mx-3's don't have that gear, unless someone by chance had an Mx-6 tranny, and their parting it out, you probably won't find one here. Normally if an Mx-3 owner has a 4.11:1 tranny on hand, it would be getting used, going into the car. Not to say that someone doesn't have one, but odd are significantly less to find one here.

There are only 2 types of K8's, there's the K8-DE, which is your North American 130hp V6, and then there's the K8-ZE, which is typically found in rumored that the North American '93 SE was slightly better tuned having 135hp.

For some reason last year people have been saying 140hp, I think the reason is that engine importers are rating them at 140 to make them more attractive (just found a site listing it as 140hp and 160tq, no way it's 160tq, and even 160hp), and Wikipedia says "144hp at it's best", but that's just Wikipedia, and regardless of it's hp, it's torque will still be the same. Even then, regardless, the different is minute that that because of their age, engine care and condition will probably determine more on it's power output than it's type.

From there there's the 2.0L KF-ZE, in which there's a 160hp and 170hp version. How to tell the diff between the two, I couldn't tell ya. According to Custommx3, the curved-neck is 170hp. Although the HP is about the same as a KL, torque willbe much less because of it's displacement and it basically being based off of a K8, not a KL (uses a K8 head, block, rods and crank I believe)

Then you have the 2.5L KL-DE. The Mx-6/626 version making 165hp, and the Millenia with the better runners make's 170hp.

Than you have teh 2.5L KL-ZE, both making 198hp and ~165tq, but the curved-neck had it's max torque lower down in the revs.

As well, the large benefit with any KL is the aftermarket support. The other's have little to none. As well with the KF, since it's not available in any form locally, internal replacement parts are non-existant.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
b3atbxr

Post by b3atbxr »

you bring up some good points and information thanks for the reply. i am trying to distinguish whether or not mine (k8 [A]), is a ze or de? it says k8[A] on the engine and im not sure if that is enough info to determine whether it is a ze or de.. and in regards to the tranny Q, are you saying the only difference between the 3 cars tranny's is that the mx6's have a taller differential gear? will the probe clutch and flywheel work w/ mx3 tranny?(both v6).
thanks
Grant
-95 GS PRECIDIA (triple black)
-02 WRX

Return to “MX-3 Related Want to Buy Forum”