Stainless shifter bushings

Do you have an MX-3 related item for sale? Post a quick note here.
jasonbierschwale

Stainless shifter bushings

Post by jasonbierschwale »

Hey guyz 'n galz,
my shifter has finally killed all four bushings (like more than half of the people on this forum, no doubt). I've looked at the bronze bushings available from SRD and Corksport, and I can't see spending $30 on a set of 4 bushings... especially not made from 'bronzoil'. I've got some stainless stock... I'm gonna make some of my own. If anyone else is interested in a set, just let me know. I plan on machining mine to very close tolerances since I don't mind the vibration through the shifter when compared to the positive shifting feel. I assume that the pacesetter shifter cannot use stock size bushings, due to the many posts of problems. If anyone wants to send me specs on the pacesetter bushings, I'll be glad to try and make a set. <p>The other guys sell their 'bronzoil' set of 4 for $30 plus shipping. I'll sell a set of stainless bushings for $20 plus shipping. Email me if you're interested. Thanks! :D
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Re: Stainless shifter bushings

Post by cjthor »

What's with the quote Bronzoil unquote??? I personally like bronzoil bushings. They do have lubrication properties and will not bind as much as stainless.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
jasonbierschwale

Post by jasonbierschwale »

As a machinist, I personally consider bronzoil a 'trash' metal. It's hard to work with and doesn't work as well as other metals in almost all applications. The stainless won't bind as long as it's done right (microfinish), not galled and rough. Bronzoil is generally not machined with close tolerances (I'm sure it FEELS close with new bushings). Just my personal preference...
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

hey Trinity23T, this sound interesting to me, i was thinking about getting the bronzoil bushings for my car soon (just swapped the auto to a 5spd :D )...any pics of the ones you make, or updates of how they work when you install them would be great. also, my cars a 93 sohc 4cyl...not sure if that makes a difference in the shifter bushings as you have a v6 model....well ttyl
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
laboiler

Post by laboiler »

Just a thought here, but shouldn't the cheapest part of an assembly be the wearing part? I'd rather replace bushings than levers or rods any day. What about a rod-end bearing welded in? It could even incorporate grease points for those of us living in the salt environment. They are not cheap, but will never wear out before the car. :shrug:
...does not play well with others.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

So why are pilot bearings for you clutch made out of bronzoil and not stainless? Probably because the stainless will not wear and if you used stainless it would possibly score the input shaft on the tranny. I think I will stick with the bronzoil. I am sure after a while the stainless steel bushings would start to wear on the bolts or possibly round out the holes for the bushings...Just my two cents.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S

Return to “MX-3 Related Items For Sale/Trade”