Phobea 94 MX-3 GS SE

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Phobea

Phobea 94 MX-3 GS SE

Post by Phobea »

Just bought the car as "spares or repairs" (see this thread), took these pics as soon as I got it home after the 11 hour round trip.

Had the MOT/Safety check yesterday, needs O/S/R shock and track rod replacing, then it's good to go. Not bad for a £250 car! Opting for full new suspension instead of replacing the one shock with an OEM part.

Loving the freedom of having a 'project car'. Have always had to worry about getting it back on the road ASAP to drive to work before, this way I can take my time and do things properly.

Problems I've noticed:
  • Car isn't actually "black", more like a very dark blue (which I actually really like). Must be a respray?
    Few threads on drivers seat loose
    Front bumper has been replaced and respray from red isn't perfect, new bumper is also missing the GS lip
    Bonnet is damaged over the D/S/F wing, probably from same accident
    D/S headlamp yellowed and foggy
    O/S headlamp needs replacing
    D/S wing mirror has two screws in the shell for some reason
    Exhaust has had a small hole poked through by previous owner (bloody ricer)
    Alloys are in poor condition, as are rear tyre walls
    Pedals also in poor condition
    All pads and discs need replacing, D/S/R caliber looks very near to seizing (planned bigger and better brakes anyway)
    D/S inside door handle is loose and messes with the central locking
    Left horn button doesn't work
    D/S driving light not working (hopefully just bulb)
    Bodywork in poor condition all over (I've got big plans for the bodywork anyway so not a huge problem)
So yeah, I've got my work cut out. All that plus the ZE transplant then bodywork then interior... can't stop grinning thinking about all the fun I'll have.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Wow, great find! In fact, unbelievable good fortune to pick an MX-3 up for so little and have it be in good condition like that. :mrgreen:
Image -Jim
Phobea

Post by Phobea »

Yeah I have to be honest, I can't believe my luck so far. I never for 1 minute thought that the auction would end for £250, I was ready to go up to £600-£700. Having just 80k on the clock is the icing on the cake.

As soon as it's sunny out again I'll get some photos of the interior since they are the really 'special' parts of this SE. Aside from those few loose threads the interior is immaculate leather goodness. Even the leather gearknob looks untouched.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Sweet find. Good luck with her.
Phobea

Post by Phobea »

Cheers! :)

Just checked the sticker in the door well and it is indeed a Special Edition. Can't figure out the engine type though, have nowhere to reference the codes.

Are there any easy ways to tell if it's a KF?
Blazianenigma

Post by Blazianenigma »

Congrats on your new addition.
Good luck with her.
1993 MX-3 (Converting in Oct)
2004 MS6 (Repairing)
1982 Limited Edition Me (.04Hp)

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”