Larger Calipers In Rear

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.

Should I upgrade my rear calipers?

Leave them stock
67%
Upgrade
33%

Total votes: 3

Xavier

Larger Calipers In Rear

Post by Xavier »

I Just got new brake pads for my '92 Gs. And i noticed just how tiny the rear calipers were, and i thought for a split second whether or not it would be worth it (or even possible) to retrofit calipers from the front of another GS to my rear discs.

I was wondering what parts may be needed if any. I've asked around and been told that i need regulators and it would be a lengthy and expensive process, but could i get some input from you guys.

And pics and examples if you have any on hand.
Blaze Red '92 K8 Mx-3 GS. Never got around to a ZE swap. SOLD
1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. Don't worry i'll come back around to the Mazda world.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

LOL, Do some research on "How Things Work" or somewhere like that. The rear brakes are smaller on ALL cars for a reason. The rear brakes only do 10-15% of the braking on a car by design. When you brake there is a weight shift from the rear of the car to the front. This shift of weight is taking weight off the rear wheels which means that they have less traction. Less traction means that the wheels will lock up sooner, and if the wheels lock up then you are not stopping as fast as possbile. So that to reduce the chance of the rear locking up they use smaller brakes and a proportioning valve on the brake lines to limit the amount of fluid being pumped to the rear brakes. This is all so that the rear brakes perform as best they can without locking up the rear.
note: this post could be written much better, but with me being at work it is going to be short and simple. If anyone would like to elaorate please feel free.
The short of it; larger rear brakes will make the braking worse not better.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Alright, Alright.

I get it. But the rear brakes are so tiny that they nearly seem useless.
And thanks much, the more input the better, i was leaning towards keeping them stock anyways. It was just an idea, and obviously a stupid one at that.
Blaze Red '92 K8 Mx-3 GS. Never got around to a ZE swap. SOLD
1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. Don't worry i'll come back around to the Mazda world.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Not stupid, you just didn't know. If you want better brakes, get a good set of blank rotors and some Hawk HP pads, change the fluid out for some synthetic brake fluid. Then clean and regrease all the calipers. If you are unsure how to go about cleaning the calipers or changing to brake fluid get someone to help you. I'd hate for you to mess up and have no brakes. :wink:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”