hectors 3rd gear pulls on me

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
PWRD_BY_HKS

hectors 3rd gear pulls on me

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

every time we race its ussually head to head the whole track... i have drag radials, CAI, OBX headers, kl-31 ecu and 2.25 exhaust.
he has obx exhaust Straight pipe 2.5 inch exhaust , front and rear strut bars, real cai RAM air, NGK Spark plugs, stage 3 clutch, fidanza flywheel, SS Clutch Line, deleted ac/ PROBINATOR CHIPPED DE ECU,JDM Millenia Atlernator, no Kat no resonator., headers, HEI MOD installed and working. RS , 17 inch, Nan kang 215 40 r17 Garmin car GPS

and we both have the millenia manifold....

what does he have that helps him catch me on third gear... i mean ... off the launch i get him because of radials.... and i take him untill late 3rd gear.... sometimes we just end together ... sometimes he takes me depending on how good my launch is....
so what is it... can it be that i have a header leak, can that make me loose HP at top end.
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I think it has a bit to do with the flywheel and maybe probinator chip.. not to sure on the chip. hmm what else can it be? other than that we are the same.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I would say u should be running 2.5" header-back piping. 2.25 is too small for a KLZE.

Also like i posted in Hector's thread, on my KL-36 ECU i was running really rich, so when dropping in the Probinator EPROM i gained ~9 WHP...so that will help on top end.

Also his engine just may be running stronger than urs...its def possible
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

i got 2.5 piping, i think he does too.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

hgallegos915 wrote:i got 2.5 piping, i think he does too.
he put 2.25... :D

I am gonns have to say ur engine is just running better..lol.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Does anyone have any legit proff that 2.5" is better than 2.25 on a ze. have 2.25 and some have 2.5" I may switch next winter if its that much better!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

There is an article that came out in i belive "Sport Compact" a while back and they actually did a dyno comparison. The article was to kill this myth of displacement tells the piping size u need.

The tested a 1.6 DOHC Geo Storm Gsi with both 2.25 and 2.5 and it made more HP with 2.5 but i don't recall how much...its been soo long since i read it.

They also tested a 2.4 DOHC Cavalier Z24 with both 2.25 and 2.5 and it made even a better difference, just can't recall the exact numbers.

I had 2.25 on my MX-6 at the time, and went and swapped out for 2.5". So this time when doing my MX-3 ZE i went 2.5" from the beginning. There is a WHP difference, i just wish i had the article and u could see for yourself.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

yeah im running 2-1/4 i need to up graded.... but you honestly think that will help out that much
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

PWRD_BY_HKS wrote:yeah im running 2-1/4 i need to up graded.... but you honestly think that will help out that much
Well i remember it being somewhere in the neigborhood of 3-5 WHP, and i recall in the article the larger displacement made a greater improvement than the 1.6 but eitherway even the 1.6 gained anice amount of power by upgrading.

PS: Isn't stock piping 2"??
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

im not too sure what stock is at...but i dont know what the deal-e-o is .... maybe i should get some better cams.... that would help...
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Do you both have KL-31 Cammed KLZE's with curve neck manioflds...or KL-01 cammed KLZE's??
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

no both are kl-01s with curv necks...
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Hector's also running a more consistantly powerful ignition system. I haven't seen dynos done to compare between stock and HEI, but there has been much talk about it.
Cody
jdMx-3KID

Post by jdMx-3KID »

i was running full interior minus the tire and jack.... and i have a header leak... could the header leak be throwing me off... i mean it does back fire pretty hard at high rpms...
FORMALLY KNOWN AS PWRD_BY_HKS....
ZE POWERED MX TO THE THIRD
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

i alwasy thought stock piping for ze cars was 2.5 thats the only reason i got it. Im sure the flywheel is helping him too....

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”