crank but no start

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kkyin

crank but no start

Post by kkyin »

i changed fuel pump, fuel filter, wires, and plugs.
after I changed the plugs and wires, it start the first time, so I let it run for a while, but after 10-15 min it suddenly died.
even since then I couldn't start, it only cranks but didn't fire up.

any help is appreciated.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

if the motor just died out i would say check for fuel since you replaced the fuel pump, then check for spark since your replaced your plugs and plug wires (or check for spark 1st since its easier), there could be a chance your disty went out.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

There are only a few things that a car needs to crank, after that all the other stuff makes it run smoothly.
check spark, fuel and air. If you get spark, then check fuel, if fuel then try replacing the MAF. Lets us know how it goes.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jdMx-3KID

Post by jdMx-3KID »

dude check the wires that are under the back seat ...make sure they are connected....since it just died on you i would have to second the fuel opinion...either that or a air leak from the manifold...check the VAF sensor
FORMALLY KNOWN AS PWRD_BY_HKS....
ZE POWERED MX TO THE THIRD
kkyin

Post by kkyin »

check the MAF, resistance ok, don't see any cracks.
it starts today on the first try, but only die after running for like 2 min.
while it's running, i can smell some gas smell at the tailpipe.

after it died, it's not starting anymore, although i feel like it almost wanted to start (has the stalling feel).
ExperimentX

Post by ExperimentX »

kkyin wrote:check the MAF, resistance ok, don't see any cracks.
it starts today on the first try, but only die after running for like 2 min.
while it's running, i can smell some gas smell at the tailpipe.

after it died, it's not starting anymore, although i feel like it almost wanted to start (has the stalling feel).
Hmm sounds kinda like the problem I had last summer, it could be the wiring that gives power to the fuel pump and the disty, it runs underneath the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment, to the right and below where the stock air-box goes, might be worth a shot, just check the wires for resistance and current.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

hmmm..... pull the spark plugs... are they full of gas.... you do say you got a gassy smell somming out the pipe ...check them out...
kkyin

Post by kkyin »

PWRD_BY_HKS wrote:hmmm..... pull the spark plugs... are they full of gas.... you do say you got a gassy smell somming out the pipe ...check them out...
i smell gas at the end of the plug when i pull it out, is it what you mean?
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

yeah man.... my plugs never smelled like gas.... change em out.... try that out see what happens....
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
kkyin

Post by kkyin »

PWRD_BY_HKS wrote:yeah man.... my plugs never smelled like gas.... change em out.... try that out see what happens....

that's the new one that I put in.
i pulled the plug out to check after I tried cranking the engine once (but failed to start)
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

so.. did you cehck spark then or not...? after your car dies, do you get any spark when you try to start her up again?
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

.... try to push start it ..... if it cranks it shouldnt even be the starter ... im thinking more along the lines of the IGNITION COIL... but check that out and let me know....have your boys push it till you go a good 8-10 mphs.... and pop it out of second... if it starts and it stays on after that.... its the ignition coil... it it still dosent turn on your looking at a faulty fuel pump check that out
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
kkyin

Post by kkyin »

PWRD_BY_HKS wrote:.... try to push start it ..... if it cranks it shouldnt even be the starter ... im thinking more along the lines of the IGNITION COIL... but check that out and let me know....have your boys push it till you go a good 8-10 mphs.... and pop it out of second... if it starts and it stays on after that.... its the ignition coil... it it still dosent turn on your looking at a faulty fuel pump check that out
the problem is that sometime it starts but only lasts for a couple minutes
i have new pump/filter/plugs/wires/batt.
but I will check to see if I can push start it.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

check to make sure your fuel lines arent leaking.... check you fuel pressure regulator make sure its connected...check around the manifold... make sure it is not a vaccum leak... it could be the problem.... let me know what you find man....
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

you havent mentioned if you got spark or not? ..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”