What is your oil pressure readings?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ryan_Fuerte

What is your oil pressure readings?

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

hey,

I just put in a set of aftermarket gauges, one being an oil pressure gauge. I was wondering what sort of oil pressure you guys have after driving for around 30 minutes and the engine at its make operating temp at an idle speed. I just put new rings and berings in the engine and the clearances were all good. Im also using a toga hv oil pump, not sure if this is my problem with low oil pres or not.

-when i start my car on a colder day the pressure is up at around 75psi, the drops as the engine warms up. After around 30 minutes of driving the pressure is at around 30 psi when your moving but when the engine drops to an idle the pressure drops darastically to around 10 psi. Is that what you people are experiencing, or am i just paranoid about seizing my new engine lol.

-Ryan
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

I cant remeber exactly but i think pat gets about 60psi of pressure on his ZE but dont quote me on that, i'm still trying to figure out what fitting is needed to tap into the oil line
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I'm getting about 60-70 at WOT and 30 at idle. Stock oil pump, ZE.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I am getting about 15 psi at idle, about high 40's on the highway, and about 60 psi toward redline. Thats on a pretty stock k8. I thought my numbers were low but i have not had any problems with my k8 and have been getting these readings for a couple months now since i put my gauge in.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

hmm maybe i have an internal engine problem, but i rebuilt the engine, and its not running bad or anything. Guess i'll just drive it and see what happens. Before i put the gauge in the idiot light never came on and i was drivin around for like 2 months after the rebuild. So it must be good, just in the lower range.
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Are you using a mechanical/fluid or electronic guage? If fluid make sure the line is run nice and smooth. No sharp bends or creases, all swooping bends. I really shouldn't have run a fluid guage, but did and the running of the line made a difference in the readings.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Right out of the online manual, it says at operating temerature:

1000 rpm 28 psi
3000 rpm 49-71 psi

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

true but thats on a k8 his is a klde and pats is a ze difference in compression maybe?
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Mnemonic wrote:true but thats on a k8 his is a klde and pats is a ze difference in compression maybe?
compression won't affect this!
kiwi_MX3

Re: What is your oil pressure readings?

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

ryan_Fuerte wrote:hey,

I just put in a set of aftermarket gauges, one being an oil pressure gauge. I was wondering what sort of oil pressure you guys have after driving for around 30 minutes and the engine at its make operating temp at an idle speed. I just put new rings and berings in the engine and the clearances were all good. Im also using a toga hv oil pump, not sure if this is my problem with low oil pres or not.

-when i start my car on a colder day the pressure is up at around 75psi, the drops as the engine warms up. After around 30 minutes of driving the pressure is at around 30 psi when your moving but when the engine drops to an idle the pressure drops darastically to around 10 psi. Is that what you people are experiencing, or am i just paranoid about seizing my new engine lol.

-Ryan
The Toga HV pump's have a bit of a bad reputation im afraid, and is not
a product id personally recommend or use either.

I have a stock pump with the releif valve shim 1.5mm

Idle 35pis
cruise 80psi
Full noise 130psi Autometer Gauge Carbon Fiber Serise.
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

i doubt it really being the oil pump, but i could be wrong. Because all the oil pump is doing is creating flow, and the clearances between bearings makes the pressure. I checks the gear clearances in the pump and it was all good, before i put it on.

I have 2 oem pumps, maybe i should shim the relief valve and see what that gets me.

I also found out that a rule of thumb is 10psi per 1000rpm, meaning my low pressure at idle is alright, but i would like to see higher myself.

Ice Racing

Oil Pressure

Post by Ice Racing »

I just rebuilt a KLZE and put both gadge and light sender unit. I'm getting 20, 22 on the cheap gadge(iquus mechanical) and the sender unit is 18psi (autometer) and once in a while the light is flashing at idle. We just ran the engine for the first time last week-end for about 1 hr on the racing track and nothing wrong happen and situation has not change (stock oil pump from old engine)
GS KLZE FOR ICE RACING
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

yah its weird it boggles my mind, it shouldnt be that low on a fresh rebuild, its about time to change my oil, i might do that and see how it turns out after that.

-Ryan

Ice Racing

Oil Pressure

Post by Ice Racing »

Make sure you are using an oil grade adequate for what you're doing with the car and the weather temperature where you live. Even if (theoricaly) oil grade 0W40 and 20W40 are supposed to be the same, a lot of people feel that there is a difference in pressure when hot even if both are 40. Same thing goes for synthetic oil and regular oil, even if they are the same grade, it can make a difference.

Just make sure you know what you put in there for your own needs.
GS KLZE FOR ICE RACING
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

Yah i just changed the oil, im running castrol gtx 10w30. It brought the oil pressure up a tad. It looks like its still around 10psi when idling around 600rpm. At cruising speed it is about 35-40 now. Isnt i Toga high volume oil pump, create more flow with less pressure??[/quote]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”