squealling

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
gixxermike

squealling

Post by gixxermike »

I have this squealling noise coming from the alternator belt, I had alternator replaced the belt twice and for the strngest reason it only happens when i turn the headlights on, it would come and go. There is no drop in power no hesitation no flickering of the lights.I tried several times to adjust it myself after i got it back from the shop and nothing
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Do you have a system in your car? Anything that may draw power thats not factory?

Have you tightened the belt?

Tried adding some grounds in your engine bay?
5speedMX

Post by 5speedMX »

I have the same problem. I hope someone can help!
It ain't done 'til it's done right.
bawolvesfan

Post by bawolvesfan »

i had the same problem, my alternator was periodically seizing up when it was turning fast from the engine running, replaced it and the belt and all is well
gixxermike

squealing

Post by gixxermike »

The only thing that i added to the car is the fatory cd player, but it's been squealing prior to me installing it, i tried tightening the belt so now i'll try adding so grounds to the engine block. it has be something electrical cause does it when i turn the headlights on. which goes back to drawing more power. is the alternator from the gs model bigger then the rs model and do they have the same setup. i just want it to stop squealing so i can sell it and the wife would stop nagging me to get it out the garage.

thanks for any and all advise i'll be sure to try it if i haven't already.
xtreme velocity

Post by xtreme velocity »

ummm...i had the same problem..and it seemed that more squealing it done it only got worse..then boom..the belt went and your stuck on the side of the road..ummm..i have learned from gettin new belts that they will strech so you will have to occasinally tighten them little by little till they are perfect...and from what i have read on this fourm..the gs and rs alt. are the same setup..only they are hard to get in..although the gs is alot stronger and better tahn the rs..i think most of the guys here with a rs had replaced them with gs alt. ..if your selling it..just try and somewhat keep the alt. belt tightend. i honestly dont think its worth the trouble to replace it of your selling it..plus you could just walk out to the car and see where its located and how tight the spot is..then u tell me if its worth the trouble if your going to sell it..

good luck..
Current:
93 F-250 Diesel Coal Roller (For Sale)
06 RX-8 1.3 Rotary AT 6 speed (All looks)
79 Ford Courier 2.3 4cyl 5 speed (lil Pete)

Past:
05 Mazda RX-8 1.3 Rotary MT 6 speed
90 Mazda Miata 1.6L 5 speed 45k miles
94 MX-3 RS DOHC 5 speed 90k miles
forcedairram

belt dressing

Post by forcedairram »

Well to all that have a squeeling belt, go to your nearest parts store (ie advance, autozone etc.) and pick up a can of belt dressing. Generally speaking that will take care of the squeeling.
gixxermike

ssquealing

Post by gixxermike »

Thanks for the info i tighten the belt and i think that it was from it being a new belt the it had to be tighten occassionally, no more squealing it was also coming from the a/c compreeor belt i had to tighten that belt up as well
after having the car for 10 years, and have the belt start squealing 2 years ago i now don't want to get rid of it but the i know i have to
thanks again for all the knowledgable advise that was giving
xtreme velocity

Post by xtreme velocity »

glad i could help...never gave advise that worked before..lol..i guess this means im learning..
Current:
93 F-250 Diesel Coal Roller (For Sale)
06 RX-8 1.3 Rotary AT 6 speed (All looks)
79 Ford Courier 2.3 4cyl 5 speed (lil Pete)

Past:
05 Mazda RX-8 1.3 Rotary MT 6 speed
90 Mazda Miata 1.6L 5 speed 45k miles
94 MX-3 RS DOHC 5 speed 90k miles

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”