Help! Replaced rear calipers and no breaks

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Blystan

Help! Replaced rear calipers and no breaks

Post by Blystan »

I have replaced my rear calipers and now I cant get any pedal. I have even had my breaks vented at a proffesional mechanick. Noone knows whats wrong. I only have breaks the last inch and repeatedly pressing on the pedal dosent help. Anybody that know what to do?
justin22_22

Post by justin22_22 »

how much fluid was put into the res after the calipers were installed, did they bleed them into the air or back into fluid. Were any lines replaced at the same time. Is it mushy feeling or nothing at all?
jdMx-3KID

Post by jdMx-3KID »

i would just bleed them.... did you try that
FORMALLY KNOWN AS PWRD_BY_HKS....
ZE POWERED MX TO THE THIRD
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

No Pedal; Sounds to me that the master Cylinder is Blowen. I Had the same problem on a Mazda MPV, there was no sign of a leak but the seals inside the master blew out. But try bleeding the brake sytem first.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Just a question. Has the park brake cables been installed and adjusted properly? Is there to much clearance between the rear pads and rotor?
You may have to cranks out the piston a turn or two.
Blystan

hmmmm

Post by Blystan »

The breaks have been bleaded many times. The master has been changed already. The fluid has been bleeded from the reservoar and out throug the hole system. No pipes have been changed.

To the one whit the piston, What do you meen???? Cranck out the piston???
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

you have to adjust the clearence between the pad and the rotor. What I think he wants you to do is ratchet the e-brake leaver on the back of each caliper till the pads just start to drag on the rotor. that should bring your pedal up.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Trevor wrote:you have to adjust the clearence between the pad and the rotor. What I think he wants you to do is ratchet the e-brake leaver on the back of each caliper till the pads just start to drag on the rotor. that should bring your pedal up.
Exactly. Mechanics will tell you Mazda rear brakes are self adjusting. That is bull crap. Unless you adjust the initial pads clearance manually it will take for ever the for them to self adjaust and in the meantime it take so much fluid volume to move the piston that some time you may run out of pedal travel. Provided that the mechanical park brake is working if you pull up on the brake lever you should have less pedal travel. If the Park brake is set right they should engage at 7 or 8 clicks and have no free play when down. Check the front pad and rotor thickness as well. If the front calipers have seized and the inside pad is worn more that the outside. This will also require more fluid volume than the Master cylinder can supply in one stroke.
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

If the front brake pads are very worn, but work evenly, would it affect pedal travel? I have been trying to get my brakes stiffer. I am waiting for my GoodRidge G-Stop brake line kit from CorkSport (And have been for a month!!! :rant2: ).
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Speak of the devil. My brake line kit just arrived. :froggie_red:
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Yes Worn Front Bake pads would afect pedal travel. just the same as rotor thickness.
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Then that explains my pedal travel. To make things worse, I just realized that my front right inner brake pad is gone and scoring my rotor (uneven pad wear). Solution, I got new rotors, calipers, bearings, and Hawk HP-Plus pads. I am officially unhappy with CorkSport now though. After a month, they sent me the wrong brake line kit. It says it's for a RX-8 2003-ON and the front lines are too short and the rear ones are too long. :rant2:
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I just Ordered the Techna Fit lines. I can't wait to see how they fit and work.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”