DYNO tunned

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jdMx-3KID

DYNO tunned

Post by jdMx-3KID »

...okay could someone please explain what they do there for you...how it works...what i need to get it ...how much it helps....is it kindaf like MG....sorry i just hear lots of people talking about it and all i have to say about it is...."yeah uh huh ...sounds good..."
FORMALLY KNOWN AS PWRD_BY_HKS....
ZE POWERED MX TO THE THIRD
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

dyno tuning requires you to have some sort of engine management. what happens during dyno tuning is the tuner runs the car at different load and rpm and fine tunes the a/f, ignition timing and in some cases, cam timing.

proper dyno tuning can only be done on a dyno that can hold an engine at steady state. inertia dyno's are only good to get some benchmark testing of before and after tuning on a steady state dyno becaue they produce repeatable results and are much more affordable than dyno's that can hold steady state. i do not recommend tuning on an inertia dyno as you cannot hold an engine at a rpm and tune each particular cell with different timing, and a/f values. this is why most people use the same ignition timing throughout the whole rpm range but a well trained tuner will adjust fuel and timing for each cell, meaning different load and rpm will use very different ignition timing and ve values.

many people (tuners included) claim that you cannot tune an ems to run reliably as oem but the reason is because most shops with dyno's do not have dyno's that can hold an engine at steady state because of the much larger cost factor over an inertia dyno.

aside from proper tuning tools there are many ems on the market that do not have baro correction factors which will also result in bad drivability in any condition other than what the ems was tuned at. for example, my instructor told me that aem refused to change to map/baro for correction because they have enough business. megasquirt on the other hand was very open when my instructor went to them with the correction factor issue. several other ems mfg's that my instructor confronted to revise their products refused to fix the issue. map and map/baro correcton is simply not the same. map will work but to have a proper running car make sure your ems is equipped with map/baro.

im not sure if that is more than you need to know but i feel people who are thinking about dyno tuning should do it right the first time.
jdMx-3KID

Post by jdMx-3KID »

okay cuz i know its time for MG...i know it is....but i dont know how to work with it...i have never worked with it, and it is very very scary the thought of blowing this motor due to lack of knowledge of mega squirt.... i just honestly flat out when it comes to mega squirt...do not have a clue....
FORMALLY KNOWN AS PWRD_BY_HKS....
ZE POWERED MX TO THE THIRD

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”