ThermoBlok Spacers

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Ukrman

ThermoBlok Spacers

Post by Ukrman »

Outlaw Engineering makes the thermo spacers that supposedly reduce the intake manifold temperature. Has anyone used them? Are they effective? Any negatives? Is it worth buying them? thanks
92 Mazda MX3 GS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ukrman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - cardomain page
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=66481 - worklog
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=72099 - feedback
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71757 - stuff for sale
http://s2.metaldamage.com/c.php?uid=159229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - biggest waste of time

jdMx-3KID

Post by jdMx-3KID »

i heard nothing possitiveness about them
FORMALLY KNOWN AS PWRD_BY_HKS....
ZE POWERED MX TO THE THIRD
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I had them on my KF and my K8. They do do deffinatley lower intake mani temp.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

they do what they are made to do
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

In addition to thermal isolation, they can be made to be more effective if they were a little thicker and if center opening were the same diameter as the throttle plate then stepping down to a diameter approximately 3 to 4mm smaller over 12mm width of the block. At part throttle, the throttle plate creates a negative pressure area above the plate causing a reverse airflow out of the intake manifold. As the throttle plate opens closer to WOT this negative air flow diminishes. The bore in the spacer can be a sphereical taper or even a small radiused lip to create the venturi effect. This creates a strong low pressure area after the spacer pulling the air over and under the partly open throttle plate cancelling out much of the negative air flow effect. This improves part throttle response, low/mid torque (ie: accelleration) and can boost peak power number over that of a straight open bore spacer. Somewhere I have a VHS video of clear plastic demonstration model where you can see just how strange airflow dynamics can be.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

like how spoon sells tapered & slightly bored tb's because it improve throttle response
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Steeb wrote:like how spoon sells tapered & slightly bored tb's because it improve throttle response
Exactly or any one of a number of companies making TB spacer for Truck, SUV, Mustangs and Honda. Similar designed have been used in the HVAC industry for yeasr to improve airflow around inline dampers. Go figure that it would take this long to make it to the automotive industry. BTW the K8 has an OE plate the serves this purpose.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I always wondered what the hell that thing was for.
I use the thermo spacers too and did notice that the power drop when the motor gets warm isn't as obvious so I would say it works. However, for the 100 something dollars I might get something else more beneficial if I were to spend the money again. A short shifter, cold air intake, good muffler (although more than 100 bucks) would be more help than the thermo spacers.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”