1991 V6 Eunos Presso , Cooling system problem.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
pressomaz

1991 V6 Eunos Presso , Cooling system problem.

Post by pressomaz »

Hey guys only new to this forum as only just found it , i having a few problems and thought somebody maybe able to help. Ok my car is a 1991 Jap Eunos presso , v6 and i am sure its the k8 motor(i think) , I am in New Zealand I love my little car but its started to give me some problems , Awhile back i noticed what looked like the water pump had started leaking so i have it booked in in 3 weeks time to have the waterpump and cambelt idlers etc done, its quite costly over here to have that done so i am saving for it. Anyway about a week ago i noticed all of a sudden my temp gauge shot right up i was very close to home so made it home ok temp gauge only reached about 3/4 so i don't think any damage was done i have been monitoring the oil and can see no milky-ness at all so i am praying the heads are ok and nothing cracked anywhere , ok after this when i went for a drive only 10-15 and got home water was pissing out the tube on the radatior overflow bottle. upon looking at things i noticed what looked to be the caps were around the wrong way (has been like this since i got it) , ok what i mean is first cap motor side was this

the second cap was this one

ok so i thought these should not be like this so replaced the pressure one for a new one and put it on the radiator overflow bottle side , i also replaced the thermostat with a new one , now the cooling system seems to pressurize its self but if you go for a drive say 10-20 minutes when you get back open the bonnet you can hear what sounds like water boiling within the motor , this hose

is bulging like hell and to hot to touch but the hose leading from bottom of radiator is only warm to touch , could it be that the water pump is so stuffed that the impellers are gone and not circulateing the water ??.
I am not mechanically minded so am sort of at a loss as to what to check next. The rust stains are just where the water has been leaking everywhere was clean as before all this started happening.
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Hiya..., yeah i think you're right, you need a new waterpump.

i'm not sure the radiator cap you have is the right one though, the second cap is for the auto tranny cooler. If the cap you HAD on the drivers side has 'filler cap' on it, then it is the right one.

i hope this makes some kinda sense?? oh yeah, there is a new waterpump on Trademe at the moment, finishes Wed...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... d=82626553

i was thinking about getting it myself! :wink:
Last edited by Aston Wards on January 2nd, 2007, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
pressomaz

Post by pressomaz »

yeah i did see that there , may have to put in a bid for it , I am a little confused with the second cap , if its for the trans why would it have the tube going to the overflow bottle , Should the cap on this one be a pressure one , I am presuming that it must have to be one or you would get what i was getting with just the flat cap and that is water just flowing into the overflow bottle. I would have a look at the pump but i could well imagine its a pretty big mission to get at it , i guess i am just going to have to wait until it goes into the garage to have everything done to see what state the water pump is in.
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

If the upper hose is very hot and pressurised while the lower hose is cold, it's not waterpump fault.
I'm almost sure is the radiator obstructed. You can get it replaced or repaired.

Cheers!
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Aston Wards wrote:i'm not sure the radiator cap you have is the right one though, the second cap is for the auto tranny cooler.
:wink:
no it has nothing to do with the tranny.

Also it seems more likly that u have an obstruction somewhere in the cooling system. Once when i had mostly water in my cooling system and it got cold, The raditor froze up blocking most of it and my coolant hose got buldged just like yours.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
pressomaz

Post by pressomaz »

its summer over here so i don't think that it could be that , looks like i might have to take the raidator out and give it a good flushing out. is there anyway to flush out the cooling ducts through the motor without having to take it to a garage to get it done ???.
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

:oops: sorry.., not sure what i was thinking! on the left is the filler cap, on the right is the radiator cap. i'm not sure which way the coolant flows, but possibly the pressure valve on the radiator cap that you've put on the filler neck is blocking the flow? try switching caps back n see what happens. if the waterpump is leaking you will still need a new one though

*edit* again with the oops! after re-reading i see that is what you HAVE done
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
pressomaz

Post by pressomaz »

The garage's were open today so i rang for some info , i did in fact have the caps around the right way to start out with , pressure cap goes on the left hand side (standing looking at car from front) and the right one is actually a pressure cap but just does not look like one as it does not have the usual drop down spring assembly, Anyway i have removed the radiator and the radiator shop has come and picked it up and are going to take the header tank off and give it a good clean out. They are going to then test it and drop it back tomorrow i am going to reassemble without the thermostat and see what happens , if i still have the same problem then its a case of either the water pump is so stuffed its not circulating or a possible blown head gasket , guess i will have to wait until i get it back and is and go for a drive and see what happens.
pressomaz

Post by pressomaz »

Well i took the radiator out yesterday and sent it off where they have cleaned it out and flow tested and everything is ok , they have sent it back and i put it back in today and went for a drive , oh i reinstalled minus the thermostat , when i got back 30 minus later it was still over heating so was not the radiator or the thermostat , one thing i have just noticed though is alot of condensation in the end of the exhaust pipes could this indicate a blown head gasket ????
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

it could mean that, do u have any white smoke coming out on acceration or at anytime(lotsa white smoke). Does ur coolant ever look milkY? How does the car run? Does your fans cut on when they are suppose to? The heat gauge will creep up pretty high if ur fans dont cut on at stop lights are at idle.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
pressomaz

Post by pressomaz »

well this is what i cannot understand temp gauge just goes to where it normally sits and does not rise , fans come on when sitting at lights but go off again when driving , no white smoke and no milkyness in the oil so i guess that may mean the head is not cracked. I dunno the cost of where you guys are but i can get another k8 motor here in nz for around $850 that has under 100k on the clock and comes with a 6 month warranty , and have been told by the garage around 8 hours to remove old motor and 9 hours to put other one in and get running (does this sound right), i may have to look at this option as it would work out better in the long run to do this than have cambelt water pump and possible head gaskets done. Here would cost me 1100 to do cambelt and waterpump plus idlers etc then heaps more if i have to do head gaskets.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

judgeing my all the info you gave and we found out, id say its your water pump. I mean your temp is rising, pressures are off and it was leaking also. Your not showing signs of headgasket crapness and ur fans are working. Your car runs fine other than the stated probs.

Id say just replace the waterpump...but if u wanted to fix everything else also and it comes out to be more than just doing a motor swap, then do the swap...and see if u can find ur self a klze.

You can get a motor for 850(even a klze at some places) but how much will it cost to install it.

Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Are you running an auto or manual? if you were in Christchurch you could have my K8 for free, s'been sitting in my garage for 5 or so years :lol:

the thing is, if you were to get a new engine you'd really want to be replacing the waterpump at the same time anyways...., not to mention the cambelt

If yours is an auto, then swapping to a KL or KF gets a lil more complicated (and expensive!), but if it's a manual you'd be crazy not to
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
pressomaz

Post by pressomaz »

Aston , Yes i do live in chch , would you if possible be able to send me an email to pressomaz@tls-tech.com.
pressomaz

Post by pressomaz »

if i did go ahead and just get the waterpump etc done and it does turn out this is not the problem but is a blown head gasket , how big of a job would it be for them to do the gaskets. ??

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”