swap in DE and be broke for a bit ?
70%
keep the k8 and add parts/ turbo ?
30%

Total votes: 10

96mx-3

so whats next ?

Post by 96mx-3 »

ok so i have saved up a bunch of money and i need help....i have read so much about swaps and parts for a k8. i dont no if i want to do a swap i dont think i know enough yet but if i did one it would be a de motor not the ze..but i have a k8 with around 80km on it. so i was thinking should i do a swap to de and do some parts on that ? or do i keep my motor now and do cams, pistons, and then eventualy turbo it ...or do jsut go for the swap. i have read aobut a bunch of people who ask the same question and never end up posting what they have done...i no its going to cost me a bit more to do parts plus turbo instead of jsut swap but it might be worth it ? and if i keep this motor is it worth it to get like a stage 1 clutch kit? maybe even stage 2?

im jsut ready to get going on this and i want to do performance swap or parts so any information would help and any one with a k8 who has done what im wondering aobut please let me know how it goes and if it would be worth it ?

thanks
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I may be wrong (which I doubt) but a KLZE engine alone is only going to cost you $1000 at the most while a turbo kit with the needed fuel mods is going to cost $2000 at the least. Thats not even counting piston and cam mods.

Even if you do turbo the k8 with stock internals, you still going to spend $2000 and your car is only going to be a bit more powerful then a KLZE.

I say, go for a KLZE or a KLDE instead. Turbo one of those in the future and you will make alot of power.
Unless you live somewhere where you cant put bigger engines on your car.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

ACtually, couldn't you just use the Turbo kit on the K8, and if it blows up, than you get the DE and plug it all back in?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Since your just getting into the car game.. I would suggest starting off small.. do a CAI install.. Maybe some headers.. Ignition upgrade.. performance plug wires.. etc.. get some successful projects under your belt before you decide to jump in with both feet.

The reason I suggest this is because you have a 96 MX-3. Which is a OBDII car.. this means a LOT of the future projects you are going to want to do will be more difficult than it would be if you had a 95 or older car. You may end up having to swap out your ECU and wiring harness to achieve what you want to do. But I think to start with.. I'd bring in some performance parts and bolt them to the K8.. especially if the K8 is in decent running condition. I dont think I would turbo the K8.. seems like a lot of $$$ for what you get in my opinion. Though you could buy the DE and plan to turbo it down the road. Keep in mind that you should keep cash on hand so that as the engine of your choice becomes available.. you can move on it immediately. Sometimes good deals last no longer than a fart in a windstorm so be financially prepared to move when you find a good engine for a good price.. and hold out on this till you find a good engine for a good price. I'd spend no more than $600 on a DE and that would have to be an engine in immaculate condition. $400 should be a decent price guestimate for a decent condition DE. These engines can be found in Probes, MX-6's, 626's and Millenias (USDM only) so there are a LOT of them around to be had. The later year 626's (and maybe millenia ones too) were solid lifter engines and could be gotten from a OBDII car.. so they might give you a good possibility of a Plug n Play option. A complete donor car would likely be your best possible scenario.. but sometimes we arent that lucky. Good luck with your project :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I'd get a ZE with DE valve retainers. Upgrade what you can afford on the engine while swapping, anticipating turbo. After that, upgrade intake and exhaust. Turbo down the road, with MSnS.

Don't forget to spread the love around evenly. Don't put all your money into the engine without at some point improving the suspension and brakes.
Cody
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: so whats next ?

Post by jschrauwen »

96mx-3 wrote: i have a k8 with around 80km on it.
Some things just jump right out at me;
An extremely low mileage MX, and
A young, ambitous owner who can't wait to spend money and isn't satisfied with what he has so far.

If in fact you have read all that's applicable to swaps that's available within this forum, than you have already found all of the answers to your questions. That said, I feel that more research is warranted since there's quite an array of questions. This array of questions appears to point to the original poster looking for someone to post the perfect or most applicable answer to his questions.
I find it strange that a 16 yr old has already drawn conclusions as to a cars "should have" or "must have" power capabilities. Or that they have already come to the conclusion that their present ride is under powered for their needs. How can one with such limited experience and time behind the wheel come to these conclusions?

My take on this would follow something similar to Tune's suggestions. An MX with that low of mileage has many many years of life and fun left in it. One can only master a certain amount of speed if the rest of the package is also up to the same demands. With that said, I would not even consider touching the engine or even doing a swap or even boosting it. If you like to experiance the capabilities of the MX I would suggest a moderate lowering set-up with quality struts and springs. Ad to that good strut braces front and rear, some nice light wider rims with good tires. Perhaps an upgrade to braking systems with overhauled calipers with quality pads and with teflon braided brake and clutch lines. I'd follow Tunes advice for plug wires, then a K&N drop in air filter. I'd do and engine, coolant and tranny flush, clean and refill. Perhaps after that, an after market exhaust system.
Once all of these have been done, you'll probably find that the available power of the K8 will be able to be manipulated even better and exploited much better than before.
After a period of time if you feel that you could use a bit better performance, than I'd look to a good Engine Management System, like Megasquirt. This should be able to maximize even more available poer than can be had from the K8. Again, try this for a period of time. When I say a period of time, I mean 4 to 6 months at the very least. If you've got to the last stage as mentioned previously, it should be around next summer by the time you want to consider other options.
If by next summer you've done all of the previously mentioned suggestions and still feel you need "more power", which might be doubtfull since you've experienced the trappings of car modding, ownership etc....
It's worth mentioning that all of these items previously mentioned are usually part and parcel with an engine swap anyway. So in this case, you have a very solid foundation for a swap and have no need to upgrade any other components since they've been done already. Basically, you're a step ahead of the game. Why not approach this in small steps in graduation. Alll to often younger new MX owners get a little over zealous with modding their cars - get way over their head - get frustrated - cut corners and a lot of times get beaten and give up.
At this point you appear to have a solid foundation to start with and it would seem pointless to swap out a perfectly low mileage K8 at this point.
Small steps will still get you there.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

i defanitly agree with keeping the motor because of the low km...i already have cold air from itegra ( 2 piece) and exhuast from the heads, so i am going to go with the idea of keeping this motor getting wheels doing little things to motor to get best performance i did the drop i should do strut bars, but i jsut cant help but want max power outa this little car lol
thanks for ur help and imput. but i also cant jsut wait 4-6 months or even next summer to do stuff lol i gotta get started and im going to soon lol
thanks guys
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

There is a good point there.

I know you probably think I'm old cause I'm 21 (everybody else is laughing at me for saying that), but really understanding vehicle physics is going to be a major asset that I'd recommend attaining before upgrading your speediness.

Accidents can happen, and they happen quicker when you're going faster. Reasonably, I shouldn't be alive today.

I've drowned (near drowning experience, if you're overly technical.)
I've had a head on collision.

Warranted, the car I was driving was NOT super speedy. It was a parts delivery car, a 92 Chevy Metro, in a most unfortunate optical illusion. I had to make a left turn across two lanes of traffic, near the crest of a hill, on a sweeping left curve.
The next things I saw were a 97 Acura Integra cresting the hill, then blackness, then everything was white, fading eerily back to normal. I'd hit the airbag, losing my sunglasses. It was an odd experience.
I also lost my job, bought insurance to keep my Civic running so I could look for a new job. The car died on the way home thanks to the alternator. I paid rent and ended up with 10 bucks in the bank after a couple weeks and no income....

So.. Don't be like me, even though that doesn't really involve modding your car. Ha ha.

Just givin you an idea how crap can go down, but not trying to discourage you. All the guys are giving you good advice. Just keep in mind that if you have a 200 hp MX-3, s--- can go crazy. Your girlfriend will probably kill you too. I know mine's going to. :D :D :D! I guess she'll be less concerned once I actually pay her for it......

Keep us posted on what you do though! Always good to see new MXers on the board.
Cody
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

so ive been searching and should i use kl01 cams or kl31 cams ? or are there aftermarket ones cause i belive they are form a kl-de and a kl-ze ?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I got a low milleage kf, a bit better than k8 but bleh it was better swapping it out for a ze in my opinion. A turbo k8 has prooven to be a good choice but it cant compare to a turbo de/ze
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
comish71

Post by comish71 »

well it seems as if you are decided on upgrading your motor. if you are inquiring about cams then you may be thinking about rebuilding your k-8. it really doesn't benefit you much to put in cams in the k8. the amount of money that you're going to spend; especially if you are not doing the work yourself will far exceed getting a de or ze and doing an almost direct swap. the output will not even compare to getting a ze or de. my friend, don't try to reinvent the wheel on this one as the swaps have been tried and proven, not sure how much bang for the buck you'll get with the cam upgrade. just my humble opinion.
1993 MX-3, KLZE, HOTSHOT HEADERS, CUSTOM EXHAUST WITH WALKER QUIETFLOW, K&N INTAKE, DIGITAL 6, QUAIFE LSD, FIDANZA FLYWHEEL, CLUTCHMASTER STAGE 3, GROUND CONTROL COILOVERS
14.32 @ 95.4mph
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

ok makes sence but what about headers like i dont think i am ready for a swap eaither to little experience and to little km on this motor but i gotta do sumthin lol i figured cams wouldnt be to much if i got used ones of a ze or de ..but i would like headers to complete the exhuast..i think for ss autochromes or hotshots i could get away with it for 250 for headers and maybe 100 for isntall but im sjut guessing...is it worth it? liek i have to do sumthin to get some more power..headers or cams or even clutch jsut to get better jumps?
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

ok makes sence but what about headers like i dont think i am ready for a swap eaither to little experience and to little km on this motor but i gotta do sumthin lol i figured cams wouldnt be to much if i got used ones of a ze or de ..but i would like headers to complete the exhuast..i think for ss autochromes or hotshots i could get away with it for 250 for headers and maybe 100 for isntall but im sjut guessing...is it worth it? liek i have to do sumthin to get some more power..headers or cams or even clutch jsut to get better jumps?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

If you arent ready to do a swap.. then your definately not ready to start messing around with swapping camshafts. All you will end up with for a engine is a boat anchor. Headers are a good upgrade and a fairly simple install. You will want them on what ever engine you are running so its a good upgrade to start out with. Maybe do the headers and then have new catback exaust done.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

alright well fixed the car and i got some money can some one tell me if these headers will work on k8 ?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/93-97-FORD-PROBE-V6- ... dZViewItem

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”