Being My Own Mechanic

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
illapino

Being My Own Mechanic

Post by illapino »

Tired of Jacks. The first one was just a crappy $50 Canadian Tire jack that I returned and now I'm using a blue Michelin jack for double the price. This one lifts better of course, but then I hear the spring pop and I get all scared, and sometimes I hear something from my car like a loud SNAP, then I get scared again and lower my car back down to find a different lift point. Well anyway, I'm fed up with trying to find the right jack, living in fear that I'll hear another loud SNAP. Another thing is that if I buy the more expensive jacks they tend to be larger which would make it difficult to get it under my car if it's lowered by Ground Control coilovers. Anyway, I'm fed up with trying to find the right jack. The whole thing of getting under a car that's merely sitting on two jack stands has somehow given my chest and ribs an emotion of their own: fear.

How about two-post lifts? These are of course only found at garage shops, but they seem to be a sure-fire remedy. Expensive they are ...

blah blah ...
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

do you have a princess auto near you ? they have a nice low profile jack with a long handle, max lift in 5 pumps or something, its about 160 $

[ADMIN - Watch the language]
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

hahah either that or figure out were to put your jack stands..

christ all mighty, your frame isn't going to breake, or you crossmembers or your weld pinch. Just through some tires under your car, or better yet, leave the jack under even after you've put in your jack stands. Don't worry muffin, you'll be ok.

It really isn't a laughing matter, i know a guy that died because he was under his car when a jack failed. I dont' know what whent wrong but usually nothing happens.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

just put cynder blocks under your wheels
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

works well for me :) you can never trust any jack... i would buy jack stands but im busy buying stupid things.. blocks do well for me.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
illapino

Post by illapino »

it wasn't jackstands that i was btiching about at all.
(i put them under the side "grooves" no problem)
it was the jacks i was talking about.
always making loud snap noises and the spring sounding like it will snap too.
i can't work under these conditions
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

illapino wrote:I can't work under these conditions
If your that worried, then maybe you shoud not be your own mechanic.

:shrug:
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

If your that worried, then maybe you shoud not be your own mechanic.

:werd:

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
illapino

Post by illapino »

well, cmon. do any of you guys get loud snapping noises everytime you lift your car? at least address what i'm talking about here! (eg. loud snapping noises)
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I dont.. and I use a cheap 20 dllr jack from autozone.. ther stock jack seems to hold up. You should not be heating that noise..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Like a hydrolic car jack? I've never heard any noise other than the 'squeek-squeek-squeek' when you jack up the car.

Always properly jack-stand the car and remove the hydrolic before getting under the car.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I always hear creaking from the jack and suspension as the tires come off the ground.. its not that big of deal.. just use a chalk or block of wood behind the rear tires to ensure the car doesnt roll backwards (It should go without saying to make sure your e-brake is set) And jack it up! Use jackstands that are rated for greater strength than your car weight or use cinder blocks. Objects in motion tend to make noise. Whether its a jack.. the car as it lifts.. or the turtle that just flew by you while you were deciding if you should use the jack or not.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

use ramps whenever possible. to change your oil ramps work great.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Wow, I feel so daring to use my scissor jack now.
Cody
illapino

Post by illapino »

when i'm talking about a loud SNAP, i'm talking about a loud SNAP.
it's really loud. serious. it didn't happen with the $50 car jack, but this $100 Michelin one does it. The sound itself could only be coming from the car, but whatever lift point of tried, the sound occurs after midway of my lift! SNAP!!!! then i just let it drop like a puzzy ... at first i thought it was the contacts of the lift point and the lifter slipping, but this hypothesis has been abolished after i put in the rubber lift-filler that cushions the contact: still SNAP!!!!

i just don't get it.
of course SNAP isn't normal, so i let it down.
here goes another return i guess ...
there's always something ...

oh, and ramps: u can't take tires off on those, so no. ...
soooo ... anyone have two-post lifts at home?

i mean, i got all my tools ready. and i found out that lubricating the shift mechanism is really damn easy, with only the exhaust pipe in the way, but can't even get the damn girl off the ground with this stupid equipment ...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”