Need help diagnosing source of problem

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Jerry Jarreau

Need help diagnosing source of problem

Post by Jerry Jarreau »

Hi everyone,

I have a 1.8L v6 MX3 GS and recently, the "charge battery" light in the console has begun to light up. At first, it only lit up when the engine was running under 1200rpm... now it lights up anywhere under 2200rpm. It seemed to get progressively worse over the course of a week. I would like to know how I can dianose the problem. What is the proceedure for isolating the bad part? I don't know if it is the battery, alternator or something else! I want to learn how to repair/maintain my own car, and am hoping to get some tips here, so please help if you can.

Thanks in advance,
-Jerry
christexan

Post by christexan »

Sounds like your alternator is probably dying, but it could be your battery also (or both, as strain on one can kill the other one after not too long)... other easy things to check first though...
Check battery cable connections... remove the cables, clean the clamps (and check for cracks), and the posts, and reassemble. Follow the battery wires as best you can, you can pretty easily see the ground connection to the firewall (just behind the battery) and if you peek under the intake ducts, can see another connection to the block. If those look badly corroded or any other source of problems, could be a grounding issue.
From the description though, it's probably your alternator dying, and as it gets weaker, it takes more revs to generate enough charge to maintain your electrical system (why the light is coming on higher and higher). Go to your nearest friendly autostore and have them test both the alternator and battery (larger chains usually do that for free). If those check out fine, then it gets harder, I'll leave that to others to reply.
Black 94 MX3 GS loaded except ABS, Original owner (139kmiles, bought fresh off the delivery truck(watched them unload it at the lot still wrapped in shipping plastic), KYB Struts, Brembo rotors, KVR Carbon Fiber pads, Dolby Digital EX/PLII/DTS-ES/Neo6 decoder, DVD player, 7.1-discrete channels, 550watt 5.1 amp plus bridged 140-watt 2-channel, 4x6.5"-3-way; 2x6.5" 4-way centers (front/rear) (all Pioneers), MTX 10" sub), Sony CD receiver, more to come, has survived $24,000+ US in damage in it's lifetime and still rolling (anyone have a straight 1994 U.S. spec right front fender to part with?)
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The easy way to diagnose this is to take your car to AutoZone and they will test the charging system and battery for you for free.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Jerry Jarreau

Thanks for the replies!

Post by Jerry Jarreau »

Thanks guys. I did bring it to Car Quest, and they said it looks like the alternator. I will be changing it tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”