Help a brother out! My A/C has got the squeel.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
boniclyd

Help a brother out! My A/C has got the squeel.

Post by boniclyd »

If you turn on the A/C it blows very cold air.
Then it squeels very loud and the air blows out air temp.
If I play with the A/C button or the fan switch it will stop squeeling for a little while (5 minutes).
Whenever it squeels the air goes warm.
I'm talking loud squeel too. People are probaly thinking what the hell.
Anyways I haven't been using the air because of this and it 100 degrees outside.
Any help would be great.
Thanks 8)
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Post by ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005) »

Sounds like your belt, thats what i would check first , make sure its nice and tight. if it continues then it may be your compressor, either locked up or slipping. But id bet its your belt. You should be able to tighten it an the power steering pump if I remember right. Good Luck !
Apexi Safc 2 ,Timex Boost-Temp-Oil Gauges, Stage 1 Performance clutch, 8.5 mm Magnacore plug Wires,2.5 inch exhaust, Cold Air Intake , Short Shifter , High temp rotors & Ceramic pads to slow it all down !
GringoEJS

Post by GringoEJS »

If you hear a loud chirp with power dropping off while the A/C is on, your compressor is failing. It seems pretty common on these cars as both MX-3s I have owned (93 RS and 95 RS) needed A/C attention. One at 155k, the other at 123k. Tighten the A/c belt first...if this doesn't fix the squeel, look into another compressor.
Good luck
1994 MX-3
mx3gtracer

Post by mx3gtracer »

yeah what these guys said, I'm thinking your compressor's locking up, while I would say cut it out and re-route your belt and do without, I know these cars don't exactly vent very well in hot weather even with the windows all the way down, I'd visit your local junk yard or see if the AC can be remanned. Otherwise I'd come up with a ventelation system that might help air flow in the cab, I'm considering a closeable vent somewhere hidden in the rear to let air out instead of forming a huge pocket, I would suggest in the trunk area up behind a wheel in your back quarters, maybe even closer to the bumper.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”