installing hood pins

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
96mx-3

installing hood pins

Post by 96mx-3 »

sorry if im in the wrong section for this but im gettin a carebon fiber hood within the next couple of days ..and i was wondering if any one could explane to me how to put in hood pins and if there nessasary cause i herd they were so...and if you had pics to it would help out alot
thanks
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

make sure you secure them with rivets
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Put tapeover the areas before you frill, start with a smaller bit and work your way up. Also, you dont neccessarily need rivits, although its a good idea, Ive had mine for several years w/ o them.
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

technically this should b moved to the Appearance forum

basically it depends on where u want them

some ppl have put them above the lights on that little rubber piece (drill out the center of the rubber and it fits)

personally i used the two holes on the metal infront of the rad support. they are perfectly even and fit the diameter of the anchor perfectly.
there is even enough space to get u'r hand underneath to get the bottom bolt threaded on.

after you install the hood and make sure it's lined up perfectly, u find a spot for the anchors, put one bolt above the mounting metal, and one below.

then gently lower the hood until it is resting on the hoodpin anchors
where the metal touches the fiberglass, dremel out the area so it no longer rubs against the metal (don't go all the way to the carbon fiber until you are sure the fiberglass clears!)

then drill a VERY small pilot hole in the carbon fiber and lower the hood again.
the pilot hold will tell you if you have to widen the hole to the left/right/ect

then by a series of widening a bit and test lowerings, you'll get a hole in the carbon fiber large enough for the anchors to jut through the hood without scraping anywhere.

before removing the backing on the pins (to expose the sticky part), fit them and pin them to the anchors to make sure the anchor height is right (if it needs higher/lower, adjust the nuts holding it to either raise/drop the anchor)

personally, in order to acomodate the angle the hood comes down on the anchors, the holes in the hood pin mounts weren't large enough and i had to dremel them wider as well, but i guess that depends on where you mount the pins.

finally you remove the paper backing of the pin mounts and stick them in place.

mine didn't come with rivets, they were tiny screws, but its a good idea to use something more than the adhisive to hold them in place

as for the neccessity of using hood pins....you need to look at it this way...it might line up perfectly with the latch, there's no problem there.
but your stock hood was latched to steel....not bloody likely it's gonna rip off.

with the cf hood the latch is attatched to fiberglass...a brittle material that might hold for highway runs, but if worst-case scenereo happens wouldn't you be more comfortable with extra security?
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Moved to the Appeareance Forum

Return to “Appearance”