**Kia Sephia Transmission MSP LSD Swap**

What's the best intake? How do I swap a BPT? All common 4cyl questions are answered in this archive only forum.
BuGS

**Kia Sephia Transmission MSP LSD Swap**

Post by BuGS »

Ok, I just completed my LSD swap for my BP Turbo. I do not have any pics up yet but here is a parts list:

96-98 Kia Sephia Transmission (GS, 1.8L DOHC MT)
90-94 Pro LX mounts or 96-98 Kia Mounts (does not matter that I found out)
Kia Sephia Speedo gear (part that goes into tranmission, not the cable)
96-98 Kia Sephia Axles and Jackshaft (again, gs 1.8L dohc MT)

And here are the offical Mazda Part #'s for the rest:

Differential & Ring Gear (MSP LSD)
GS01-27-190A
QTY = 1

Drive Gear
G501-17-341A
QTY=1

Bearing(s)
G5R0-27-350B
QTY=2

Although it is reccommended to get locknuts I say to just use your old ones. I got two new ones from Mazda and only one fit the kia transmission.

BTW this swap is done so you do not need custom axles. I got Kia axles and they are thicker than Pro LX axles and are stock units so they are only a part store away rather than 2 weeks out and $65 vs $250.

The Drive gear had to be grinded down around the inside ring to fit on the MSP LSD, and there was a part in the tranny that needed to be grinded too, but besides that (which are way easy to do) it was a very very easy LSD swap :).

More info when pics become available...
Limegreen mx-3

Re: **Kia Sephia Transmission MSP LSD Swap**

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

[quote="BuGS"]Ok, I96-98 Kia Sephia Transmission (GS, 1.8L DOHC MT)
90-94 Pro LX mounts or 96-98 Kia Mounts (does not matter that I found out)
96-98 Kia Sephia Axles and Jackshaft (again, gs 1.8L dohc MT)

. I got Kia axles and they are thicker than Pro LX axles and are stock units so they are only a part store away rather than 2 weeks out and $65 vs $250.[quote]

Very good JOB bugs just so u know Pound for pound the Kia version is very simmlar to the mazda setup. small changes like thinker axles a + for BPT owners. all four mounts bolt up the way mazda did it. ive seen both setups and they are all interchangeable :D In RM MX-3 the kia 1st gen trans seems to be holding up better and longer than the mazda trans. strange we haven't messed around with the 2nd gen kia trans swap bell housing and who know what it can withstand. GOOD luck with ur swap and keep us updated.

Limegreen mx-3
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

Kia Sephia Speedo gear (part that goes into tranmission, not the cable)
are you talking about the speed sensor? if so is it cable or electrically driven?

if it is cable driven, are there electrical ones that will fit (that you know of)?
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

If only there was some lsd tranny (this still sounds very wrong), for the GS, that was this easy.

-nope
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Yes, the speed sensor. The one that came on the kia transmission was electronic, so I just screwed the electronic part off and screwed the cable in.

Also, I have heard that the MSP LSD swaps into the V6 Gseries transmission with a little modification to the housing (more than I had to do). Gro harlem did it if I am not mistaken.

But ya, I just need to find my special Nikon cable and i can get the pictures into my Yahoo pictures and maybe saved here onto the site somehow...
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:
MechaManZero wrote:Damn and if only I knew this earlier lol.
U learn something new u could do that for like a back up trans.
Damn it now I have more of a reason to blow up this protege transmission lmao
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

For Photos go to :

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/angery_bu ... /my_photos

There are inside shots, a shot of where you need to grind and a comparision shots of Pro LX jackshaft vs Kia Sephia Jackshaft (kia one is the bigger of the two).

And this is the best picture I have seen of the speed ring modification:

Return to “4-Cyl. FAQ”