Price idea needed....

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
sexy_mx3

Price idea needed....

Post by sexy_mx3 »

Okay here's the update finally on my car....

About a month ago I posted how my car wouldn't idle and it kept stalling out on me... well...a lot has happened since then...

Okay so I did like I said I was going to... I replaced my fuel filter... $70 later... still no fix.

Two weeks ago on my way to a funeral... clutch hard core grenaded! Oh yeah... great start to the summer!
Well... I took it in to get fixed and $920 later... it's all fixed and my short shifter is finally installed! lol

Now while I took it into the shop to get fixed the mechanic noticed the crappy idle and all... well he thinks it's the EGR (didn't get a chance to pull the code yet)....

NOW, my question is... how much does an EGR job cost? What can I expect? Is there any cheaper way around it... since I have just put a grand into my car in the last month...?

Thanks everyone for the help in the past... sorry the update was a long wait! lol
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

get a ze that will fix egr, and it is probably cheaper.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Whens the last time you did a tune up?

Plugs
Wires
Cap and Rotor
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Tanya, am I reading this right? You paid $920 for a clutch install and a short shifter install? Shop didn't get a chance to pull the code? It's a ten minute affair for a Mazda tech. Provided you took it to someone who's Mazda savy. Can't recall how many people try to nickel and dime their repairs and maintenance to a non Mazda certified mechanic only to discover that in the long run they ended up paying more. Not sure if this is the case here. Didn't you pose an idle issue problem a month or 2 ago. And I believe I riddled a bunch of checks that needed to be verified too.
May 15 2006
sexy_mx3 wrote:Okay I'm going to try to paint the picture as best as I can... On Friday evening my car started acting like a piece of sh**... when ever I slowed down or even stopped (so the rpm's got to 1500 or below) the car started REALLY struggling to keep idiling. So I would have to keep revving the car to keep her going... I mean she would just die! You could start to feel her losing it in 2nd... But once I got her going on the 401 and stuff she was fine,
Now I thought it could have been some bad gas or something, so I ran my tank dry and filled her up with Supreme... I put some fuel line cleaner in her too... still doing it on Saturday... Now I'm giong to pick up a new fuel filter today (I dont think ANYTHING on this car has been changed by the other two previous owners) so I hope that's a start...I remember it was a little rough running this time last year when I bought the car b/c of the damp weather... could this be it as well?
If anyone can help me out here... I'd really appreciate it!
Oh and are fuel filters for the V6 a direct 'bolt on' or is it a harder thing to change and should go to the mechanic for this?
It's not unlikely for problems to get exacerbated if they go unattended. Are these past problems still not tended to? It appears that perhaps the missed preventive maintenance routines have finally caught up to you. At any rate, try Spinkx79's recommendation and see where that takes us.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

I would also recommend the tune-up and pull the codes. If it persists and you do, in fact, have an EGR code or codes (16, 28, 29), the cheapest way to fix it would be to disable the EGR system (Unplug it all) and insure that the valve isn't stuck open; however, this will leave your check engine light on and will automatically fail you on any safety/emmissions tests. The correct way to fix it is not a practical option due to the insane price of the parts (if I remember correctly). It would actually be cheaper to get another engine than to get new EGR parts (Again, if I remember correctly). I live in florida and don't have any tests :twisted: so I just disabled mine and it ran better. Next possibility, your disty may being on its last legs. This could be fixed with a new disty or the HEI modification. These may or may not be causing your problem, but, the engine codes should shed some light.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

wow thats alot of money to pay fpor a simple fuel filter change... ee clutch job? ouch.. where are you going? are their tools made of gold? um did they resolve the issue?... I suggest another shop..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
sexy_mx3

Post by sexy_mx3 »

okay... distributer cap was replaced last summer along with the plugs, wires were pretty much new...
-the fuel filter was installed at Mazda.... the clutch was a brand new cluth, slave cylinder, machined my fly wheel and the short shifter install... it was done at a low rider tuner shop near my house... the labour was around $65 and hour... I didn't get the codes pulled by him b/c he got called last minute to set up a booth at the Truck Nationals on the weekend and had to leave early to get their booth set up... so I got shafted there... but he said he'd do it whenever I bring the car back...

And yes John :oops: I did look at all your answers and had a few mechanics look at it... but every time I went to get the codes pulled by them I didn't have the cash.... so finally we worked it out to being an EGR issue... the one mechanic from the tuner shop... sttd he could almost garauntee it... but like everyone has said I just needed to get it scanned...

So all in all... I guess I'm going to have to possibly start pricing out some new motors for my car.... hmmm... might as well go big or go home right!?!? Thanks for the help guys... keep it coming if you can!
ProspectMx3

Post by ProspectMx3 »

To bad I diden't see your posts earlier, I could of done your clutch in a couple hours, and for alot cheaper.
If you need a ERG I have several laying around, and a couple DE motors, that I could probably install in a weekend, if your looking at putting a new motor in.
Stock Sucks
Race Cars!!!
mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

***** Deb's ears purk up ***** .. you have a couple of DEs ................hmmmmmm ...

hehehehehe

DEB

**** not this year unless she blows up between now and whenever .. lol ****

but I'll keep you in mind Waide....
New owner of a "2008 Tiburon GT"
ProspectMx3

Post by ProspectMx3 »

Well ive got one sitting in a 626 with 80,000km on it, and picked up a millinea manifold for it.
I also have another with 150,000 km on it, which is on an engine stand, still half to get a manifold for it.

And about 3-4 K8 lol, but they are just scrap metal
Stock Sucks
Race Cars!!!
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

hell if your really nice, ill flog ya the 2.7
and throw in a free LSD gearbox.
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
sexy_mx3

Post by sexy_mx3 »

ProspectMx3:
LOL I so woulda brought it your way if I woulda known too! lol at least I know for next time who to take the car to.... thanks!
And the motor/EGR... let me sort some things out and could I get back to you on what exactly I'm going to need done? That would be awesome hun! :D

And thanks again ppl... all this info is really going to help me from passing out from what ever bac news will be given to me after the scan...
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

kiwi_MX3

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

jschrauwen wrote:kiwi_MX3

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
This has been like that for 2 months and your the first to spot it john

" hands john a limp lettuce as a prise"

its the net, felt like a change though these silk undies Hmmm
nice :)
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”