Ordered Drag wheels/tires...Rim screws??

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Ordered Drag wheels/tires...Rim screws??

Post by cjthor »

FINALLY ordered up a set of Koesi K1-TS 15x7 wheels and a set of mickey thompson ET drag tires 24.5x8x15. Looking on Mickey Thompsons website they say to drill 24 holes in the wheel to apply screws....anyone done this?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

It holds the tire from sipping around the bead of the rim when you launch. I'm not sure it is necessary without a good bit of power. No offense, but more than you have.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Yea u gotta be able to crinkle those tires up under launch..i dont think u have the power to slip the bead...

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Also, I don't think you have LSD, if memory serves, and thus you will spin one tire before you spin a tire on the bead of the rim. :wink:
However, if you installed the screws educated draggers looking at your car would think oh crap, he must be alot more modified than he looks. :lol: 8)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

OK I do have LSD and am estimating 300-350whp. How much HP do you need before you spin the tire?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

That might well be enough with a LSD and a good rev drop. Ask around at the track. I don't drag, but I've always found that older guys love to answer questions when racing against them or with them. You'll make a friend and maybe learn more than you asked for.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

They are called "Bead Lock"

Your turbo is capible of 400WHP and if you want to hook up you'r gonna need to run REALLY low tire pressure...15psi. This allows them to essentially become wrinkle walls, hints MT's suggestion of the screws. You should be using Bead Lock rings as well....depending on tire design. I'm assuming your using the ones that require an intertube, as most are not tubless radials like the Nitto NT-555r's or BFG Drag Radials. Make sure you change your trans fluid out and rund the Lucas 80w90 gear oil w/ 1 bottle of Lucas trans fix. Thats what I was running in my Pro-LX trans and it held up, still holding up! I'm about to put mine back together as soon as I can get a new clutch disk (3-button metallic sprung hub). We are going for 500+WHP turbo only daily driver and the LSD is going in mine as well. We are expecting the car to pull low 10's in the 1/4. Yours at full turbo capacity w/ slicks should be knocking on the high 10sec to definately low 11 sec 1/4 mile door. Will be a sick ride!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Like the others said you probably don't need them, put a couple marker lines across the tires to the rims so you can see if they are traveling and then go from there.

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”