Still surging idle..

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

Still surging idle..

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ok i managed to stabalize the high idle. got another tps, reset it. Igle is at 1.. when it warms up it surges which leads me to believe a faulty iac.. i know its been asked..but can we run without iac?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

wow i seem to ask the hardest questions.. lol search isnt any good for my tope of questions..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

have you ruled out Coolant Temp Sensor yet...
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

ariesdude wrote:have you ruled out Coolant Temp Sensor yet...
Excellent point.
Hector, after that have you followed the TPS info in the FAQ. The one that explains about TB cleaning, adjusting the the throttle cable, adjusting the stop positions of the throttle linkages - these have to be done first before any setting of the TPS while it's in the diagnostic mode. The IAC's have been known to fatigue so that they won't give a complete kickdown on the idle but have never known them to generate a surging idle. I had a faulty one once and generated no surging idle. The only way I was able to eliminate a surging idle was to source an adequate TB that made a good seal with the butterfly in the venturi and then did a complete TB cleaning focusing on the air bypass part which the idle air screw threads into.
Once the linakge(s) have been set properly as per the online manual then it's time to follow the TPS setting procedures and placing it into the diagnostic mode when directed. This is all based on everything checking out vaccum lines and intake tubing for leaks.
Although there are slight differences between the K8 TB and ZE TB's I'm sure the same would apply with the KFZE TB. That said, the same TPS setting and adjustments will also still apply. You must be missing something Hector..... don't skip any steps in the TPS process. If you suspect the IAC then replace it and continue with the TPS adjustment, although I don't believe it to be a player when it comes to surging idle but it doesn't hurt to remove it from the equation. g/l
John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Thanks schrauwen, I will do all of that. Very good specific info. I disconected thiac and had no surging idlebut hyuad to manually adjust the idle. I will replace coolant temp senosrs with the ones from my k8 and redo the whole tps adjustment process.
-hec

Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

How's your rad cap?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”