Molding Side Skirts

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Jacbs2007

Molding Side Skirts

Post by Jacbs2007 »

Hey everyone, I've got some Mazdaspeed Sidekskirts and I'm prepping my car for paint right now. I would like to mold the skirts onto the car but I can't find any How-to's or tutorials on this, could someone please provide me with a link to one if there are any? if noone knows of any tutorials or how-to's, could someone just give me the quick basics of what material's to use?

Thanks,
-Curt-
1993 GS
-MS front -functional molded hood scoop
-MS molded sides-shaved antenna
-Civic projectors -New black paintjob
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

well, most use Marine tech you can pick it up at any Boat store. its damb good stuff. then you use that to bond it to the car. Bare metal. then some use screws to help fasten them to the car as well, then you want to go over it with as little bondo as humanly possable, with no air bubbles. and thats pretty much it. rember to block sand it other wise it will turn out crappy. rember your bondo needs to be on bare metal also.
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

Is that Marine tech stuff you're talking about the same as some fiberglass resin? I've heard some people just put down resin on bare metal and attache side skirts that way. Then they put a layer or 2 overtop ov the sanded skirts(fiberglass) and then sand it smooth and bondo if needed. would this method work?
1993 GS
mx almere

Post by mx almere »

Here's some pics of my sideskirts being molded in. I can't give any tips, because I have had it done, but I'm sure you will find the pics interesting.

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=Q7JEWS6U
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

Yeah thanks man, that actually really helped. I have to say...that's a really nice looking MX. How much did the paintjob and molding run you?
1993 GS
mx almere

Post by mx almere »

I don't think it makes much sence to compare since we don't live on the same continent, but let's say about 2500 euro's.
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

I Honestly didn't even look at your location. Regardless, that's about 3k USD which isn't bad if the cost of living etc. were the same for us.
1993 GS
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

You know that's the first time I've seen those skirts on a car and liked it? They look COMPLETELY different between the molded and unmolded versions.
tallymx3

Post by tallymx3 »

I agree that looks absolutely SWEET 8) Good color too.
1992 WHITE 1.6l SOHC saving for a BPT swap next year, New interior next month, and new Paint Hooray
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Jacbs2007 wrote:Is that Marine tech stuff you're talking about the same as some fiberglass resin? I've heard some people just put down resin on bare metal and attache side skirts that way. Then they put a layer or 2 overtop ov the sanded skirts(fiberglass) and then sand it smooth and bondo if needed. would this method work?
NO!! dont just use fiberglass resign to bare metal. it will crack and fall off. its a waist of your time, Really. if your going to di it do it rite. or you will regret it later
mx almere

Post by mx almere »

lakersfan1 wrote:You know that's the first time I've seen those skirts on a car and liked it? They look COMPLETELY different between the molded and unmolded versions.
Thanks... 8)
For that remark you get some free pics:
http://www.mazdamx-3.nl/members/member_show.php?id=59

Return to “Appearance”