Probe O2 sensors the same for mx3 GS?????

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
92MX3black

Probe O2 sensors the same for mx3 GS?????

Post by 92MX3black »

I just bought a mx3 about 7 months ago and have since noticed that the check engine light comes on when the car seems to warm up. Sometimes the CEL comes on initially on start up but most of the time it will come on after the car is at operating temperatures. Well i talked to the guy i bought the car from and he said that he put the 02 sensors out of a Ford Probe into the mazda exhaust pipes. He said it was working for him and the CEL didnt come on all that time. Now everytime i drive the car, once it warms up the CEL comes on. I really didnt want to shell out the $75 to see what the CEL code was. Im thinking it is the 02 sensors though because im also only getting 19-20mpg now and with mazda and this tiny engine i expect to get more. the car is a 1992 mazda mx3 GS 5 speed. Some one please help me out.... just wondering if this interchange o2s should work or is there a way i can check these engine codes to give me some more help. :cry:
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

First thing to do would be to pull CEL codes. Its free.. you can do it yourself.. Just jumper TEN and GND (a paperclip works fine) on your diagnostic box (located next to the firewall on the drivers side of your engine bay) Then get in and turn your Key to the Run position. No need to start the car. Then just count the number of flashes that the CEL does. Then you can take that code and look it up in the online shop manual to see what the code is indicating is the problem.

And Yes.. the Probe O2 sensors are the same.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
precidian

Post by precidian »

just pull the codes from the ECU and then go from there. It is a simple DIY. The code listing is at F2-074 and F2-075 in the online shop manual.
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
92MX3black

Post by 92MX3black »

thanks for all of your help, as soon as it gets a little warmer outside (Delaware =34* right now) im gonna attempt this and let u guys know.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”