shortened auto shifter

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
JHetfield

Post by JHetfield »

you couldn't have called it any better...so I took my car out tonight, and stepped on it out on the highway..no sooner do I hit 80, the hold light starts flashing...Hey Tunes, who should I talk to to get permission to post a WTB on the for sale forums?
-94 GS 1.8L Black
-69 Pontiac Firebird 400 Turbo
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

I see a JDM trany for a 2.5l on ebay. But i am not sure if you can put that on a K8 tho.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
JHetfield

Post by JHetfield »

I'm struggling with two scenarios

1. do I go and buy 2.5L and a manual to swap in.

or

2. just find a 5 speed MTX and everything i need to swap it in with my K8?

is 1 a whole pile more work than 2? or just a little more...or is it any more at all?
-94 GS 1.8L Black
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

it kinda depends on the finances really...., the best thing IMO, would be to find a 5spd MX3 and buy a KLZE...., swap them in all at the same time into your current car (or just swap the KLZE into the new 5spd car)

if the finances don't allow both at once, then try to find a 5spd MX3, swap the gearbox, sell whats left to recoup some of the price
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
JHetfield

Post by JHetfield »

anyone know how often it happens that a guy sells his 5 speed tranny? does the K8 5 speed work with a KLZE?

or how often do guys sell a decent auto tranny...I know there isn't such a thing, but. I just want to make my MX-3 work for another 8-10 months before I go get me new Mazda3.
-94 GS 1.8L Black
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

If your just going to go get a Mazda3 in a few months.. I wouldnt even bother dinking with your tranny at all. Ignore the HOLD light.. the speedo sensor isnt going to cause any real issue.. the speedometer still works right? Just clear the code before you take the car in if you plan to use it as a trade in. Or.. you could look in the online shop manual on where the Speedo sensor is and start calling junk yards to see if you can dig one up. I would still recommend pulling the ATX codes as mentioned previously to make sure that is the code being thrown.. As for being able to post in the for sale forum.. all you gotta do is reach 30 posts.. and from the look of it.. you only have 5 more to go at the time I am typing this. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
JHetfield

Post by JHetfield »

i still plan on Keeping the MX...its such a fun car. I don't know how to get the codes tunes...remember, I'm dumb. I don't need one of those DIAG tools to pull them?? little help here for the retarded kid in the wheelchair...

thanks
-94 GS 1.8L Black
tallymx3

Post by tallymx3 »

in the online shop manul there is a guide to pulling codes. you can use a small wire and connect GRD and 10. You will be looking for a small box on the driver side up towards the windshield. after putting the wire in place turn key to on position and count the flashes. Tunes can prob help you more on this one than me since im fairly new aswell hope this helps. :D
1992 WHITE 1.6l SOHC saving for a BPT swap next year, New interior next month, and new Paint Hooray
JHetfield

Post by JHetfield »

do you know what the section is called? I can't find it. I hope its not the body elec troubleshooting, cause those pages won't open for me.
-94 GS 1.8L Black
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Actually in the case of the ATX codes.. its slightly different. Using a jumper wire (paper clip works ok) Open your diagnostic box. This is located in your engine bay along the firewall on the drivers side of the car.. near the master cylinder. It says Diagnose on top of it I think. Inside the lid of the box (Its a flip open hinge style) You will find a diagram indicating which pins are which. Place the jumper in pins TAT and GND. Then get into your car and turn your key to the "Run" position. No need to start the car. The HOLD light will flash in sequences to indicate what codes are present in the TCM. Just count the flashes and then you can look up what the code is in the online shop manual.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

JHetfield

Post by JHetfield »

I'll give it a go tonight. Can you guys help me with the codes?

thanks
-94 GS 1.8L Black
JHetfield

Post by JHetfield »

oh, one more thing...I thought the general consensus, was that when your hold light starts flashing your trannys days are numbered, I get the feeling that that isn't always the case.
-94 GS 1.8L Black
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

It depends on why its flashing.. as in.. what trouble code is showing up. The ATX's are definately weak and unless they get the proper maintenance pretty much from the start when the car is new.. they dont last worth a crap. Very few people actually do ATX maintenance as it should be done. This isnt just something that happens with MX-3's.. I am talking cars with ATX's in general. It's one of the reasons why if you really want a ATX car.. you should buy it new or from fleet resales (like public utility cars & ex-police cars). Then you know that the trans has seen proper maintenance. Its really quite amazing.. I have known people that will do major work on their engines.. spending thousands of $$$ on them and never once change their trans filter. :confused2: :shock: As an additional problem.. Ford designed these ATX's in the MX-3's. Ford has a history of making weak ATX's that require more maintenance than other vehicle manufacturers. See Ford doesnt want you to do your own maintenance.. they want you to bring the car to them so they can charge you an astronomical service fee to maintain your car. Its not just ford that does this.. another good example is car manufacturers that use Timing Belts on interference engines (where if the belt breaks it causes big time damage). This is just irresponsible of them to do so. But.. they will tell you that if you follow the maintenance guides laid down for the car.. you wont have any problems. bulls---. What happens if you get a defective Belt? It could snap and cause thousands of dollars to repair the engine. Anyway.. I'll stop ranting now ;) :rant2:

Tunes67

JHetfield

Post by JHetfield »

do I need to clear the ECU before I try pulling the codes?
-94 GS 1.8L Black
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

No.. if you clear the ECU.. then there wont be any codes to pull.

Tunes67

Return to “Appearance”