best place for o2 sensor??

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Joey's mx

best place for o2 sensor??

Post by Joey's mx »

Ok with my setup i have the option to run the o2 sensor on the manifold or on the downpipe...so what would be the best place to run it to get the best air/fuel readings??

So it is basically before or after the turbo??
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

if you have a turbo, it should go after the turbo. the manifold temps are too high pre-turbo.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

yup defenitly couple of feet after the turbo and before the cat
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

I put mine just after the flange to the cat <cat-side>.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

What if ya have one of those loong feed pipes (like us v6 owners have to do,since we have the turbo where the battery is) would it still be to hot to have it put in further down on the feed pipes after the two banks are murged? Since its pretty far from the manifold.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Don't put it before the turbo, you will fry it.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Ok is this only for wideband o2 sensors? because i checked out the pipes being made in the v6 turbo kit thread..and the bungs for 02 sensors are before the turbo (on the headers, or just after)

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Don't some stock turbos have it on the manifold too (before turbo)? I can't imagine it being that bad if the people who made the turbo thought they could put one there.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Mine is before turbo. No problem at all.
Shades

Post by Shades »

Wouldn't you want it on the manifold to get the best reading as soon as possible so that the computer can figure out what it needs to?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Well, we made this configuration as close to the original non turbo as possible.

Engine - Manifol with o2 sensor and wastegate- turbo - Intercooler - bov - tb.

The O2 sensor was located at the original manifold, as well as the EGr pipe

Air filter - MAF - turbo

Thinking about placing the MAF like this:

AIR FILTER - TURBO - INTERCOOLER - BOV - MAF - TB - INTAKE MANIFOLD
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Shades wrote:Wouldn't you want it on the manifold to get the best reading as soon as possible so that the computer can figure out what it needs to?
02 sensors are made to be used in a certain temp range. Close like that is too hot.

XxantwawnxX wrote:Ok is this only for wideband o2 sensors? because i checked out the pipes being made in the v6 turbo kit thread..and the bungs for 02 sensors are before the turbo (on the headers, or just after)
these normally are for stock 02 sensors.
I spoke with Abe and we'll weld a 02 bung in the downpipe for those running with a wideband.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)

Return to “Forced Induction”