Wheel bearings

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

I got that rook looking bolt off on the tierod and I can't pry it apart with my hands. By the looks of it, I didn't need to take that rook looking bolt off...but we'll see.

At the green arrow, I've not seen any 17mm bolts. I'll keep looking.

Thanks again for the help.
1993 RS Teal
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

happyclown wrote:I got that rook looking bolt off on the tierod and I can't pry it apart with my hands. By the looks of it, I didn't need to take that rook looking bolt off...but we'll see.

At the green arrow, I've not seen any 17mm bolts. I'll keep looking.

Thanks again for the help.
Yes you did. It's probably rusted on. Once I take the castle nut off, I bang if from underneath with a hammer to get it to pop out the top.

For the green section, you understand there's an arm attached to the hub that's a permanent part of the hub, right? You should be disconnecting the hub arm from the control arm, NOT disconnecting the hub from the hub arm.

BTW, you know there's a Mazda shop manual off the main MX-3.com page, right? You've got me thinking now that you haven't seen it yet.
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

:roll:
Heh, I forgot about that :roll:

I spent two hours tryin to pull the assembly away from the axle. Called a friend to come over and see if he could help out. We tapped the end fairly agressivly but nothing hard. Spent another unsecessful hour trying to get that off. Finally I called the guy that own the shop to let him know that I couldn't get the part off. He seemed a bit confused so he came over to help. He tugged and pulled and tapped at it then asked what we had tried. So then he took the 4lb sledge hammer we were tappin it with and RAILED the fucker over and over.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

After a good 10 or so whacks he stopped and looked at it. It bairly budged! so he continued to hammer at it. Finally it worked its self loose.

He flatend the end of it pretty good, but thats no biggy, i just gotta grind it down so i can get the nut back on there.

He said that hittin it like that wouldnt hurt anything but god damn was he hittin that hard.
1993 RS Teal
corbanbrook

Post by corbanbrook »

I think my left front wheel bearings might be going..

When i pull out of my garage in the morning i hear whiney rubbing noises. usually only when in first or reverse i hear it. Sounds like it comes from the left front wheel.. but not too sure.

Today when i was driving home for lunch, it was fine. Parked my car out front of the appartment building and when i left again I had to do a really quick hard turn... ever since i did that it is really whiny.. almost high pitched. and can hear it all the time when driving now. In first its loud and high pitched, and in forth.. is a lower rubbing noise that is harder to hear. Car feels looser and it pulls to the left at times.

Does this sound like bearing problem?
92 MX-3 1.6L 4 Cyl SOHC
MPG: 21.5city/38hwy
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

Almost. Did you try jackin it up and rockin the top/bottom of the tire?
I had to do a really quick hard turn...
That makes me think cv joint. But that is more of a clicky noise. I think that could have been the last straw for the bearing also.

I'd say most likley its your wheel bearing. :wink:
1993 RS Teal
corbanbrook

Post by corbanbrook »

Well Wheel bearings would be good news. cheaper to fix :)

And no.. havent had a chance to put it up on jacks yet.

Its going to the mechanic in an hour so im hoping for the best... wheel bearings would also correspond to the shitty MPG im getting on the car.
92 MX-3 1.6L 4 Cyl SOHC
MPG: 21.5city/38hwy
zoltan

Post by zoltan »

im pretty sure i need to change my wheel bearings.. theyve been making a noise for a while but i dont think they wobble... this weekend im going to jack it up and check and see if they wobble... im fairly a novice at automotive mechanics but i believe i can change them. any pointers would be great. this thread has helped a lot! thanks

94 mx3 rs [/code]
94 b6 nothing special, intake
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

It was my hope that this thred would help people like me/you :D

Heres the best advice I can give:

Buy a breaker bar and half inch drive sockets!
you will need 32mm and 17mm in half inch (see broken tool pics)

My car has been though about 13 bad winters (northeastern) so alot of things were rusted/corrouded in place. Get some LiquidWrench and spray that on 30 minutes before start, It helps. If you have a tortch It helps to heat bolts up then crank on them.

Becuase you a n00b like me I would plan for this taking a while. Mine was in the driveway for 3 and a half days. Im sure I could do it in 1 day now, but when its your first time it always takes longer (breaking things, buying new tools, waiting for parts you forgot/broke, just plain ole exploring)

When you get really frustrated with it just think about how much the jerkoff at the garage down the street would charge you. I think I spent about 100 bucks (parts and tools) to do this, I bet it woulda cost me 400+ at a garage.
1993 RS Teal
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

I know this is a really dumb question, but how many wheel bearings do I need to get for doing both front wheels? Also, are there any other parts that I need to do the bearing replacement?
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

There will be 1 bearing set per wheel. If you go to a parts store (I used NAPA) and say I need wheel barings for the front pass and driver wheels they'll give you the bearing in a box, I just brought them and the wheel assembly to a mechanic friend with a bearing press. Napa also gave me a seal, but I just gave that to the guy who pressed the bearings.
1993 RS Teal
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

happyclown wrote:Napa also gave me a seal, but I just gave that to the guy who pressed the bearings.
I just bought a new bearing today from Mazda $60 samd price as Part Source but this one says made in USA where the PS ones say made in Japan.

I didnt get a seal, i got a thick a-- snap ring, do I need seal too?

Oh and I asked how much to have the bearing pressed in at Mazda if i brought the knuckle they said $100 lmao...i said thanks but no thanks.
Cy

Post by Cy »

all 4 bearings cost me $38CAD a piece.. i used a hammer and a socket to beat out the bearings...after spending an hour with a can of WD40 and a screwdriver getting the snap rings out...

todo it in you driveway with a good assortment of tools might take you 2 hours a wheel if you've never done it before..

O yeh.. To press the bearings.. A 10+ inch opening vise and 2 piece of flat steel to even the pressure...

Tis easy as pie

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”