High RPMs

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Danny

High RPMs

Post by Danny »

Ok, so I'm driving in 1st, I shift at 3K, and my RPMs go to 2250~, and same for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. And when it does it in 4th, that means at 3K RPM in 5th, I'm sittin at 64 MPH.... I mean, I thought shifting into 5th was supposed to significantly drop your RPMs, like 2K~, not 600. I mean, when I get on the highway, and I'm going about 70 MPH, it sounds like my engine is about to blow up its revving so high, I mean, I cringe whenever I go any speed above 70 (note, I'm not specifically talking about 70MPH, I'm just saying that once I get going at high MPH its at very high RPM). In my old civic (it was auto...if that matters), I would get up to 100 MPH on the highway and it wouldn't even phase me.
Is something wrong with my car, or is it just me? :?

BTW, I do have a POS exhaust, its like all rusted and corroted, there's also a big ol hole in my cat. My friends grandpa said that replacing it would help, he said something about back pressure...any ideas?
SBmx3

Post by SBmx3 »

when did the problem start? has it always been like that?
88 WHP~~~ WOOT!
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

You can thank the lovely engineers at Mazda for the gearing ratios on your tranny.

Its normal for MX-3's to rev high like that, even in 5th gear at highway speeds.

Sucks, doesnt it?

:?
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Danny

Post by Danny »

SBmx3 wrote:when did the problem start? has it always been like that?
Yeah, its been like that every since I got it, in like October/November.
You can thank the lovely engineers at Mazda for the gearing ratios on your tranny.

Its normal for MX-3's to rev high like that, even in 5th gear at highway speeds.

Sucks, doesnt it?
Soooo.....basically I'm screwed.....and there's nothin I can do about it..... :werd:
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

correct, there are 2 reasons why they do this...

These motors will run for longer at these rpm's (less of a load on the engine) and they are more fuel efficiant at right around 3k pushing little load compared to 2k pushing more of a load.

Bochek
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

These motors will run for longer at these rpm's (less of a load on the engine) and they are more fuel efficiant at right around 3k pushing little load compared to 2k pushing more of a load.
Thats a nifty theory ;) Except the engines in our cars are pulling loads and not pushing them LOL ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Tunes67 wrote:
Thats a nifty theory ;) Except the engines in our cars are pulling loads and not pushing them LOL ;)

Tunes67
Stupid FWD
D323

Post by D323 »

Actually you can do something about it.

Go to a junk yard and get the 5th gear from a DX protege... its a lower gear and you will see a more significant drop in the RPM's. ;)
GS + BP + T3 + 9lb flywheel - some dead weight = ;)
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

D323 wrote:Actually you can do something about it.

Go to a junk yard and get the 5th gear from a DX protege... its a lower gear and you will see a more significant drop in the RPM's. ;)
not that great of a drop.. the difference is the protege dx does 3k at 120km/h and ours dose 3k @ ~105kmph

Woo!

Bochek
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

i think the ratios are fine the way they are, but a 6th gear would be great for higher freeway speeds. most freeways down here in FL have the limit posted to be 70. of course nobody is doing under 75. a 6th gear would be great for this to keep the engine around 3-3.5k as opposed to 4k+.
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Bochek wrote:
D323 wrote:Actually you can do something about it.

not that great of a drop.. the difference is the protege dx does 3k at 120km/h and ours dose 3k @ ~105kmph

Woo!

Bochek
Wait, how many MPH is 105 KMPH?

Oh, and if I do an engine swap, will that effect it at all?
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

65mph for your american people.

and no a engine swap wont make a difference. None. at all. But your car might be faster.

Bochek
Danny

Post by Danny »

Bochek wrote:But your car might be faster.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
No way :2thumbsup:
corbanbrook

Post by corbanbrook »

Would it be possible to upgrade to a 6-speed? or would that be costing to much money for it to be worth it.
92 MX-3 1.6L 4 Cyl SOHC
MPG: 21.5city/38hwy
Devilhog

Post by Devilhog »

Is there a 6 speed that will actualy bolt up to our engines? :D

Anyways at 70mph my car is doing 3200 rpms. I dont see much of a problem with that.

You guys need to start driving the car, not baby'ing them. Have fun take it above 5000 every once and a while :wink:

And to those who dont baby their cars, cya on the road :twisted:

Got my Stock 96 1.6l Dohc up to 210 kph. Cant wait to see it once I get some work into the engine.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”