why does my caliper keep on seizing?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
mx3_rider69

why does my caliper keep on seizing?

Post by mx3_rider69 »

i replaced my calipers about a year ago cause the told me its "seized"(if thats how u spell it) and now i also have the same problem anybody know why is it ? do i have to change something else ? plz help
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Likely you have crap/crud built up in your brake lines.. purge the main brake lines and replace the rubber style brake lines. Good time to upgrade to Stainless Steel Brake Lines.. they arent that expensive and not only will they be new.. but they dont flex like rubber lines (or at least not anywhere near as much) so you get a more consistant feel from your brake pedal. Hope this helps.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
mx3_rider69

Post by mx3_rider69 »

thanks any other ideas
rmcg5

Post by rmcg5 »

usually it is the sliders that the caliper ride on..... you need to lube them every couple of months....
Rob McGrath
1992 Blaze Red MX-3 GS-ZE 15.5 1/4 Mi.
2005 Impreza WRX STI 12.8 1/4 Mi.
http://www.teamxxxracing.com
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

A good brake clean and lube should help, but I agree it could be crappy fluid and rubber lines that are making the problem worse.
I lube my brakes every time I replace them (maybe once every 2 years) and they don't sieze.

Clean the caliper slides with brake parts cleaner, then sand them just a bit with some 800 grit sand paper to remove any rust or rough spots. then grease them with brake parts grease and finish putting the brakes back together. Also clean and sand lightly (but DO NOT grease) the brake pad pins (metal rods that go through the brake caliper).
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
gfreire

Post by gfreire »

Hey My bro has the same progblem with his probe he also replaced them but they always seize for some reason.
[FS] Carbon Fiber Alteza Tail Lights used
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54541
[FS] 17' Motegi DP6 Hyper Black rims
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54497
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Do what I suggested. Brake dust is extremely corrosive and will cause pits in the metal pins that the brakes slide on. That is what causes the seizing. Good care is needed to keep good braking performance.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MazdaKiller

Post by MazdaKiller »

heat.... make sure the caliper doesnt heat up too much take your car around the block 2 times and see how hot it gets it shouldnt get to hot but just hot enough that you can touch it ..
Mazda_Powered

Post by Mazda_Powered »

i had one seized caliper and one on its way on my 1991 protege gt (4 wheel disk)

all i did disasembled the wheel and brake system, and swung the caliper up (like you're changing brake pads) then you keep playing with the caliper adjustment screw on the back and keep lubricating the caliper and wipping it off. then with it all apart still get someone to start the car and press on the brakes to make sure its working properly.

those were on the rear and they've been good ever since, when i bought the car the rear rotors were sooo rusty and not being used. now with the new rotors on it, you can see that they're working properly because its a clean surface where the brake pad makes contact with the rotor.

hope this helps

JACK
.::Mazda::speeD::.

working on the 2nd part ;)

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”