Hopefully the LAST intake thread

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3dude
Supporting Member

Hopefully the LAST intake thread

Post by mx3dude »

Ok guys, before I start, I did do a lot of research on the subject through these forums until my eyes felt like they were going to fall out of my head. I searched for CAI, intake and K&N and read posts as far back as early 2004 and just couldn't go on.

With that said, I did find answers to most of my questions, but it took a really long time; I still don't have all of them answered. The main purpose of this thread is to gather the majority of this information into one place and put it in the FAQ perhaps. This way, when people have intake questions, you give them this link.

Anyway, some of the things I think need to be discussed after my searching are the following:
-Comparison's between the performance's produced by the PRM Intake, Integra intake, stock intake w/ K&N filter, stock intake period, any of the above with a K&N filter. Basically, which of these will yield the greatest amount of power gain, fuel economy gain, etc.
-Detailed walkthroughs for installing these different systems. I know that a SOHC CAI from ebay will work with some modifications, what modifications? How about the integra intake; what cuts and where?
-Recommendations

For the most part, I think the 1.6 DOHC needs to be addressed the most. I know hoodzy has a very good walkthrough for the V6, but I also know from what I have read that the two engine bays are not compatable. After researching, I know that many of the above topics are discussed in earlier threads, but not really all together. They are discussed in little sections that you have to piece together and many earlier explanations aren't very clear for the noobs.
moderators, please spill your hearts out on the matter, hopefully it will be the last time for everyone! Thanks for everyone's input, don't hold back. Make sure you specify for which model and year you are giving info for.
95' MX-3 RS, front and rear stabilizer bars, B&M short shifter, homemade ground kit, all power options just installed, passport 8500 X50 radar detector (+15HP, -8mpg, +20mi/hr top end on the highway)
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Re: Hopefully the LAST intake thread

Post by monty73741 »

[quote]I have read that the two engine bays are not compatable. After researching,[quote]

the DOHC & SOHC engines being different but the way they route the intake is basicly the same. the SOHC intake will work on the car. I bought it but never installed it because i have a prm. I didnt like the way it put the filter down in the bumper. Cork sport used to have a similiar intake but was discontinued because the company went out of business(least that what the email i got said) THE SOHC kit doesnt come with directions & is a little confusing.
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
mx3dude
Supporting Member

Post by mx3dude »

monty73741 wrote:
I have read that the two engine bays are not compatable. After researching,

the DOHC & SOHC engines being different but the way they route the intake is basicly the same. the SOHC intake will work on the car. I bought it but never installed it because i have a prm. I didnt like the way it put the filter down in the bumper. Cork sport used to have a similiar intake but was discontinued because the company went out of business(least that what the email i got said) THE SOHC kit doesnt come with directions & is a little confusing.
Sorry, by my above quote I meant that the V6 and 4cyl engine compartments are not compatible, so V6 intake ideas wouldn't work for the 4cyl. Since you have a PRM, could you tell us something about it? Have you seen any kind of power/ economy increase? Do you think it's worth the price? Thanks
95' MX-3 RS, front and rear stabilizer bars, B&M short shifter, homemade ground kit, all power options just installed, passport 8500 X50 radar detector (+15HP, -8mpg, +20mi/hr top end on the highway)
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

intakes really dont get you any HP, i did see better miliage. The only thing i dont like is that the prm replace the bottom part & not the top

jason
Jason Danaher
blindfendersk8r

Post by blindfendersk8r »

I've seen the SOHC CAI on ebay, and the PRM, but from what most of the people i know say, its better to get as much of the plastic hosing as u can out, so im thinkin about tryin to put the SOHC kit on my DOHC, ive looked at a bunch of pictures and the lay out seems exactly the same, i wanna know if this would be better than the PRM, what i would need to do, if possible buying the PRM then a short ram just for the tube would be best, any of those would be great. for now im gonna strap a cone fliter onto the mass air flow unit like i saw in another post
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

the only problem with the cone on the maf is that it suck in heat from the engine

heat= bad

it just an intake with a bent tube which i put towards the fender
Jason Danaher
mx3dude
Supporting Member

hmmm, which one?

Post by mx3dude »

So I guess the million dollar question is, or the $179 USD question, which option is best? Should we fork out the cash and grab a PRM, or should we go for the cheaper SOHC intake... or an integra intake? Does it matter? Is this just all personal preference, or are their actual performance differences?
blindfendersk8r

Post by blindfendersk8r »

i kind of have the same question, i get the short ram/ cold air difference, and i know heats bad.
but what if i run a short ram with a heat sheild, like a real one that actually covers the filter not a cheap tiny one of ebay
would that hold up with a cold air, cause right now im leanin towards the SOHC and just makin it fit, im guessin the heat shield works good for about....30min maybe then it to gets hot, as opposed to the cold air always gettin fresh air

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”