Twitchy check engine light

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
elliott264

Twitchy check engine light

Post by elliott264 »

hi all

my mx3 has 272000km on it and I'm trying to squeeze every last km out of it before a swap/rebuild.
The engine is the 1.8 v6 and it burns a little tiny bit of oil but nothing too bad. I start it up no problem, drive for awhile and only when I'm at about 80 km/hour and up does the check engine light come on. The problem is that when I turn the car off and start it again, the check engine light is gone again. It always comes back during the same driving conditions, and always resets itself when the car is off.
So before I start paying to read codes on an engine with 272k on it, does anyone have a little knowledge to share?

Thanks for any help
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

What year is it? Don't pay someone to read the codes, unless you want to pay me. :wink: Read this:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=34787
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Knock Sensor, same problem I have
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
elliott264

Post by elliott264 »

its a 92 gs. stock 1.8 v6. I have to pay a shop to read the codes 'cause I don't have a code reader. SLOWLY saving some cash for one but my kid is damn expensive (diapers and formula clean me out regularily).
Knock sensor? What do you know about it?
Something I should get checked or just drive 'till she blows up?
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Dude, you don't need a code reader. Read FAQ link in my previous post. After you jump the TEN and GND in the diagnostic box with a paperclip you just turn the key to on and count the check engine light flashes.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
elliott264

got codes, need direction

Post by elliott264 »

ok...finally read the codes. here is what i got:

08 volume air sensor
10 intake air temperature sensor
16 egr system
23 rho2s inactivation error
24 rho2s inversion sensor

i'm fairly new to this forum so could someone direct me to a manual of some sort.
also, the guy that owned the car before me cut out the plastic air snorkel to make room for a cone type filter.
a hose that was attached to the filter housing had a plug on it.
elliott264

Post by elliott264 »

ok never mind about the manual...i found it

still need advice on where to start to correct the codes

thanks
lakersfan1

Re: got codes, need direction

Post by lakersfan1 »

elliott264 wrote:ok...finally read the codes. here is what i got:

08 volume air sensor
10 intake air temperature sensor
16 egr system
23 rho2s inactivation error
24 rho2s inversion sensor

i'm fairly new to this forum so could someone direct me to a manual of some sort.
also, the guy that owned the car before me cut out the plastic air snorkel to make room for a cone type filter.
a hose that was attached to the filter housing had a plug on it.
8 and 10 are both from either a bad VAF, or it's not plugged in all the way. More often than not, it's usually the plug isn't pushed in all the way.

23 and 24 are both from a bad rear oxygen sensor.

I wouldn't worry about 16 until you fix the other codes.
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

I would clear out the ECU first. Some of those codes may no longer be a problem since there are no symptoms associated with them. And like lakersfan1 said fix whatever comes up again first. I bet (nothing :lol: ) the only thing that needs attention is the O2 sensors.
Last edited by FlyVFR on January 27th, 2006, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

the guy that owned the car before me cut out the plastic air snorkel to make room for a cone type filter.
Unless he hooked up the MAF and Air Temp Sensor correctly after he did this.. that would explain those codes. They might not be plugged in all the way or not connected at all.. you will need to check that one visually. And lakersfan1 has it nailed. Replace your o2 sensors and worst case scenario.. put in a stock air box and you will be back in business. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

without the vaf plugged in i don't think the car would run. i tried once by mistake and my car would idle, but when i touched the gas it would stall.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

elliott264

Post by elliott264 »

ok
ecu has been cleared.
now the only code i get is 16 egr system
where should i start to correct this problem? i'm tempted to rip out the whole damn system or would the check engine light constantly "shine"?
i wish i had smaller hands to work on this car.....
elliott264

Post by elliott264 »

so now something new is going on. now everything is fine but when the cel comes on, the car idles up and down pretty bad (clutch in). i checked for cracks in the accordion and tightened all the connections. i'll go and buy some butane today and do the ol' leak test on the rest of the tubing and maybe that will shed some light on what the problem is. idling up and down in neutral is usually a vacuum leak isn't it?

besides this problem....not bad for a daily driver with 272,600km on it. Can't wait to swap though. these little 1.8L are pretty boring until you get the rpms up there...still though...
elliott264

Post by elliott264 »

no leaks. the same cel code keeps coming up: 16 egr system. idle is still going haywire but the cel doesn't have to go on before this happens. can anyone point me in the right direction? i'm a big fat noooooob
thanks

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”