CAI is almost done. Need some expert advise

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
pauli_au

Post by pauli_au »

I think the 'thing' you are referring to (as mentioned above) is the fresh air breather for the EGR, mounted to the side of the stock air box. Turning the top of it will do nothing as its like a filter that can be pulled off. That won't affect your idle. For idle, look at the idle control screw and reset the TPS if you're keen.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Can you provide a picture of this, to end all the guessing and allow us to clear everything up for you?

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

It's the thing help up by two red zip ties - too lazy to relocate.- lol.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

That is your fpr selenoid. It helps in conjunction with the fuel pressure regulator to control fuel on restarts. It should not affect your idle. Check for any leaks by spraying wd40 and seeing if the idle revs while spraying. If it doesnt not than i would try and adjust idle via idle screw. Good luck.

Nate
den

Post by den »

Yes the one in the picture is exactly the one I was talkin about.

Guys I did search on how to reset the TPS and adjust the idle. I was searching for more than an hour in hundreds of results but didn't find a useful info. So please dont hate me... Can someone pls tell me how to do it... you know, in somekind of step by step process.. I would really appreciate that.

By the way thanks for all the input guys. You are all great!
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 5 speed
Reverse glow gauge, Custom CAI, Cross drilled rotors. Toucan front strut tower bar, Custom circular ground wires, Custom exhaust w/ stainless oval dual tip muffler, Custom blue turn indicator lights on gauge panel and switches, performance steering wheel, Pacesetter short shifter
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

The v6 faq has the tps adjustment procedure, and and a section on checking codes, which requires you to put the car into diagnostic mode. They seem kind of overwhelming at first. I just completed my first tps adjustment this past week. If you have any questions after reading through the faq feel free to ask me for help with any further hang ups.

Nate
den

Post by den »

Got this from FAQ...
Idle Setting
Ensure that the timing is spot on.
Start engine.
If engine dies right away, adjust idle air screw to 3 full turns out.
Start engine and allow to engine to warm up.
The ISC if operating properly should have the engine idle fairly high if engine was cold. This would be a good time to confirm that the ISC is doing it's job of stepping down the idle as it gets warmer.
Once engine is at operating temperature, adjust idle air screw to approximately 650rpms. The occasional rev by hand is also good to try to ensure idle returns to 650rpms. Once achieved, shut engine off and remove jumper wire.
Start engine again to ensure idle is at approx 700rpm.
If fine tuning to this idle is needed in the future ensure engine is up to operating temp and that the jumper wire is installed. NEVER ADJUST IDLE WITHOUT TEN/GRD JUMPER WIRE.
Do not rest ECU after TPS adjustment. The ECU needs to learn the new settings. A test drive should assist in that regard.
Is this everything I need to do to adjust my idle???
Reverse glow gauge, Custom CAI, Cross drilled rotors. Toucan front strut tower bar, Custom circular ground wires, Custom exhaust w/ stainless oval dual tip muffler, Custom blue turn indicator lights on gauge panel and switches, performance steering wheel, Pacesetter short shifter
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Yes sir
den

Post by den »

What does this mean :
Ensure that the timing is spot on
BTW which screw has to be adjust? Location?

Thanks again!
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

It means to check your timing using a timing light. The idle air screw is a phillips head screw on top of the tb. look for the circular hole on top of the tb and the idle screw is down inside the hole. The hole is right next to the linkage where your throttle cable attaches to the tb.

Nate
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

den wrote:Now my CAI is completely finished. Is also cleaned the throttle body with some throttle body spray. It was ok for a while then suddenly I noticed that my RPM is a little too high when idling, around 1000. What is causing this problem? How do I adjust the idle?
I would check for vacuum leaks and/or any air leaks in the CAI first, before making any idle adjustments at the TB. Especially since it was working well at one point.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
den

Post by den »

Problem solved! It was my damn faulty PCV valve. Thanks a lot to all of you. Sorry if I gave you too much problems lol.

Just a story... I was using aftermarket hose(those colored ones) for my PCV valve. When the engine is warmed up, the stupid hose deflates its like the hose can't candle the vac so what happens is no air cant pass thru. Now I have to put back the stock hose.
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

You can use colored silicone hoses you just put them over ( very long and difficult process ) the original hoses. Anywho, you can use soap to line them and slip them over.
MEXTHREE

Post by MEXTHREE »

What is the Ideal idle for mx-3 V6 on a Cold Start up and Warm start up??
Team Woozy
Wu-z Performance

(twenty one twenty)
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Mine goes up to about 1500 for about 30 seconds then slow drops down until I have heat coming from my vents which ends up at 700 rpm.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”