engine death

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
boywithamazda

engine death

Post by boywithamazda »

i don't know how it happened, but the oil plug came out of my car, draining all the oil while i was driving. I drove about 5 minutes total with the oil light on before it started stalling out and dying. It stalled 3 or four times before it stopped completely.
After i discovered the plug was gone i got another and filled with 3 quarts oil. The engine doesn't seem seized but shows no signs of life when starting. help!
93 mx3 gs-ze, kl31,headers. other exhaust stuff. Intake harvested from a dumpster.
NOTHING

Post by NOTHING »

what kindda help u want.......rip that sob out and rebuild, if possible if crankshaft got phukd and cilinder walls got phukd then your pretty much PH\/KD...
boywithamazda

Post by boywithamazda »

i was kinda hoping there would be some magic sensor that would shut the car off or something when the oil was low...
93 mx3 gs-ze, kl31,headers. other exhaust stuff. Intake harvested from a dumpster.
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

LMAO Majic sensor shezzz ive heard them all know.....
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
boywithamazda

Post by boywithamazda »

well if a generator has a shut off switch for when the oil pressure is low, i figured a car just might have one...
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

they should have one cuz i ran outta oil when i first got my car and my bro REALLY took it for a test drive i mean he beat the complete s--- outta it but it still runs as strong as it always did :D
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

I'll let you have my k8 motor for 200.00 =D
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

boywithamazda wrote:i was kinda hoping there would be some magic sensor that would shut the car off or something when the oil was low...
Ya there is a magic sensor, it's called the Oil Pressure Warning light in your dash, second from the top on the right side of your idiot lights - it comes on along with all of the other idiot lights when the ignition is first turned on. That must have come on while you were driving, right? And you must have continued to drive it even after that light came on - even for a short bit. Always stop the car immediately whenever that that light is on or the engine temp is too high - always!! A difficult lesson learned the hard way, I guess. A moment of silence please for a dead ZE ........... :cry:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You need ot do a compression test. But first, what are the cranking symptoms? Does it turn over, does it crank and die, does it not turn at all? You most likely burned up the piston rings and thus would need a new engine. (a comression test will tell us alot)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

:idea: Always wondered why the oil warning light is not labeled CHECK OIL NOW! instead :?: Maybe auto engineers could not fit in all the letters or perhaps though it was too idiotic ??? LOL

But seriously, with all the technology available I feel they failed to properly warn the driver of a serious problem!

No pun intended boywithamazda. Sorry to hear about your engine. I hope you get it going again.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmm yup you NEVER EVER drive with NO OIL...ive blown around 3 , 4 cyl engines this way.. they start to kock really hard. One car hopwever we did fix... we machined the cranlk and got new bearingsd and worked fine.. this was hopwever pon a 4 cylinder engine.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
boywithamazda

Post by boywithamazda »

I still need to get my car in the garage to tear it open...but i now know to listen to mr. idiot light. I figured i changed the oil 1k before and topped it off 2 weeks ago...the light must be wrong...and considering i added a quart and the light didn't go away..Oh it must be slow in turning off, i'll keep driving for another quarter mile...**car dies** well thanks for the brief advice and minor encouragement.
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Time for a new ZE my friend. Its cheaper and easier than a rebuild. I wouldnt EVER drive with an oil light on...
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

This is a lesson in my when i spend $$$$ on a motor that i
install a low pressure sensor that comes on when the pressure drop's
below 30PSI ok so it lights at idle so what ....

if it lights at 8000rpm its shut down time.....
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

kiwi_MX3 wrote:This is a lesson in my when i spend $$$$ on a motor that i
install a low pressure sensor that comes on when the pressure drop's
below 30PSI ok so it lights at idle so what ....
if it lights at 8000rpm its shut down time.....
What sending unit would that be Matt ..... name, part# or whatever? What rpm does it need to reach before that light goes out. Something just around 1500 to 1700 rpm I think would be ideal. I like your idea though!!
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”