Distributor change and HEI mod

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
pseudomarine

Distributor change and HEI mod

Post by pseudomarine »

Guys -

Continuing from my earlier thread...I'm still in the position with my car not starting.

So...my distributor is a K834 (TOT57171, I think). My car is a '95 UK V6. I'm trying to source a suitable HEI module - only 1 car spares place I've phoned has heard of Niehoff or Wells and they don't stock them any more. I'm waiting on another car electrics place to phone me back once they check their catalogues, but it's not looking good.

For those in the UK - any decent online sites that stock these ignition modules? I've seen a few US sites, but they don't ship internationally.

In the meantime, I've been offered a KL01 (TOT57071) distributor from a breaker's yard for a cheap price. I presume this is the earlier model and is less reliable than the one I have (the K834 NEVER gave me any trouble and I believe it's the original part). Question is: will the KL01 be a suitable replacement? I read elsewhere on the forum about a possible wiring difference between the connections. If so, does anyone have the wiring diagram, and/or be able to explain it to me like I'm a 4-year old?

Yeah, I realise the KL01, if it fits, is probably a backward step...but in the absence of a suitable HEI module, it's my current best bet. I'd like to give these both a try (KL01 and HEI) before shelling out for a new distributor...probably from Probe Distributors or United Automotive (ebay).

I may send my old K834 to Probe Distributors for a check-up...being in Northern Ireland, the postage cost will be a factor, too.

thanks for any help you can give.

car has been off the road for 12 days now :cry:
1995 MX-3 1.8 V6 UK model...140K miles :-S
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

http://www.summitracing.com has both the HEI module (better than the GM module, Accel high performance), and the MSD Blaster2 coil.

even with shipping I believe it to be a better deal than getting a disty that most likely will die again.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

If you are in despirate need, I have access to ship one oversea's. Just pm me if you are interested.
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
pseudomarine

Post by pseudomarine »

nope-mx3 - thanks for that link. i think they'll be getting some business from me in the new year. Glad to find somewhere that ships overseas :D

mx3 gsr for dummies - thanks for the offer. PM sent :wink:
1995 MX-3 1.8 V6 UK model...140K miles :-S

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”