Help: Amp and Subs

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Aaron Sharpe

Help: Amp and Subs

Post by Aaron Sharpe »

Ok, so i bought 2 sony xplod 1200 watt subs, and a 1000w xplod amp. I wired everything how it should be ground, remote, 12v, subs, ect. But my amp doesn't turn on. I checked and rechecked. Maybe my car doesn't have enough electrical power to power my amp? I new to this stereo subs thing, but maybe a power capacitor will help, hell I don't know. Someone help me I'll get you a cookie.
1.6 sohc, Atlantice Blue Mettalic, lowered 1.6", custom intake, custom 2.5 cat back exhaust, carbon fiber hood, battery relocation, currently running 75 hp shot of ZEX smart nitrous. ZEX blue illuminite purge kit, Custom Fiberglassed Spoiler (Mzdspd Style), MOMO Steering Wheel, black leather racing seats, enkei 17" DM5 wheels, and some other s---.
I want TURBO. I have no money

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2045197
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

Your car will have enough electrical power to turn on the amp...so its probably a connection. First check all the fuses in both the amp and in the power wire. Next make sure your remote wire is connected to the right wire coming from deck. The first thing I'd do though is redo the ground somewhere. I had this exact problem with my sony amp awhile ago and I fixed it bt adding another ground. good luck and let us know
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
Aaron Sharpe

Post by Aaron Sharpe »

Ok I'l go check it. And I had a crappy wal mart amp a couple of weeks ago and I hooked up the wrong remote wire to it (I guess there is two in the back of my deck) and it was only turning on the amp when I had the Fm Radio on, but I fixed that. I'll go check all my grounds again. Would grounding it to the battery's ground be ok? I relocated my battery to the trunk so it would make my life easier.
1.6 sohc, Atlantice Blue Mettalic, lowered 1.6", custom intake, custom 2.5 cat back exhaust, carbon fiber hood, battery relocation, currently running 75 hp shot of ZEX smart nitrous. ZEX blue illuminite purge kit, Custom Fiberglassed Spoiler (Mzdspd Style), MOMO Steering Wheel, black leather racing seats, enkei 17" DM5 wheels, and some other s---.

Aaron Sharpe

Post by Aaron Sharpe »

Ok, so I checked my ground and I ground it out where my battery was grounded. Then I checked the inline fuse in the amp power wire. It had a 40 amp and it was blown. So I replaced it. I hooked everything back up and still no amp. i dont know whats going on.

2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

Get a test light, test the remote wire. Does the light come on? Which wire did you connect from your deck? Did you use the power antenna? Or did you use the REM wire that you should of used?

Basically with a test light, if you get a light on the 12v, remote, and grn wires, then your amp is bad. But my money is your remote wire either got a pinch in it, or connected to the wrong wire on your deck.
Last edited by 2fazed on December 23rd, 2005, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Aaron Sharpe wrote:It was only turning on the amp when I had the Fm Radio on, but I fixed that.
Thats the power antenna wire. It's meant to trigger your antenna to rise up when you switch to the radio, which probly doesn't apply in your case. You can always put the remote line on a direct link to the battery (or just short the remote and the power(+) at the amp) to see if that turns it on.
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

if the fise was blown, something shorted out (possibly your amp) You have to be very very very careful wiring these these things up it cant be stressed enough. One little slip with the wrong wire can fry half your system. Hook up the + to the battery make sure fuse is not blown. Ground the amp wherever and then jump a wire from the + terminal to remote terminal. If the amp does not kick on then its toast. (or the internal fuse could be blowin in the amp?)
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
ooELMOoo

Post by ooELMOoo »

ground your amp to where your rear seat bolts down first off....to much interferance comming form the engine bay plus its short and get better grounding....Second make sure the power cord is connected properly....third make sure your connected to the right wire in the back of your radio...just go down to a local shop and ask them a quick question...usually they will tell you the right wire right away...make sure that your battery isnt hooked up ....otherwise that usually blows the fuses......take some pics and post so we can explain more
----------------
| CUSTOM X3|
----------------
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Re: Help: Amp and Subs

Post by FlyVFR »

Aaron Sharpe wrote:Ok, so i bought 2 sony xplod 1200 watt subs, and a 1000w xplod amp. I wired everything how it should be ground, remote, 12v, subs, ect. But my amp doesn't turn on. I checked and rechecked. Maybe my car doesn't have enough electrical power to power my amp? I new to this stereo subs thing, but maybe a power capacitor will help, hell I don't know. Someone help me I'll get you a cookie.
You stated that you bought a total of 3 amps sporting 3400 watts of total power. That's like 290 AMPS of current :shock:
What kind of speakers are you using and watt ratings?
What size power wires? Speaker wires?
Which amp is not turning on?

BTW- don't expect to much help for only a cookie. :lol:
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

FlyVFR wrote:
Aaron Sharpe wrote:Ok, so i bought 2 sony xplod 1200 watt subs, and a 1000w xplod amp. I wired everything how it should be ground, remote, 12v, subs, ect. But my amp doesn't turn on. I checked and rechecked. Maybe my car doesn't have enough electrical power to power my amp? I new to this stereo subs thing, but maybe a power capacitor will help, hell I don't know. Someone help me I'll get you a cookie.
You stated that you bought a total of 3 amps sporting 3400 watts of total power. That's like 290 AMPS of current :shock:
What kind of speakers are you using and watt ratings?
What size power wires? Speaker wires?
Which amp is not turning on?

BTW- don't expect to much help for only a cookie. :lol:
where do you see 3 amps?
i see 2 1200 watt subs and 1 1000 watt amp
there goes your cookie :lol:
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

relisys_3200 wrote:where do you see 3 amps?
i see 2 1200 watt subs and 1 1000 watt amp
there goes your cookie :lol:
Well that would make more sense. This is what happens when I'm home sick with the flu sipping on Nyquil on New Year'e Eve. But that's no excuse and you're right I don't deserve the cookie.

:) Cheers! (another dose of Nyquil)
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”