battery kill switch?!?!

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
pinkmx-3

battery kill switch?!?!

Post by pinkmx-3 »

I need some info on how to do this... like what size wire, hook up info, ect. i have an idea to where i wanna put the switch at but i just dont know how to do it. Thanks :D
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Do you mean a switch so the car can't be started? Or a battery isolating switch?

A "kill" switch can be installed in the wires that go to your fuel pump relay which is effective to prevent the car starting. For this you only need small wires. This won't "kill" the battery - the car will still crank but not start.

A battery switch is very high current so needs heavy cable and cuts off all power from the battery. I don't really know why you'd want one of these.

If you let us know we can help you identify the wires to use, etc.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You can get the stitch from Taylor. searhc Taylor battery switch on your home page. I think that Summit racing caries them.

I also would like to know why you want a switch. Race cars use them to cut the power in the even of a fire, but on a normal car it would just be for looks mostly and maybe even a pain if it started to come loose or mess up.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

PATDIESEL wrote: Race cars use them to cut the power in the event of a fire, but on a normal car it would just be for looks mostly and maybe even a pain if it started to come loose or mess up.
I agree, race purposes only, any other reason would be strictly BLING BLING BLING.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

IF thats what she means... I really think she probably means a kill switch for security purposes - which is a good idea.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
pinkmx-3

Post by pinkmx-3 »

well i was meaning like a kill switch........... But for the battery. the reason is, i think i have a short somewhere on the car and my battery seems to be draning over night. it would take 1 day for this to happen or even up to 5 days . but its always seems to drain and i have to take it out and get it recharged when it does. so i figured if i put some kind of swich to the battery to cut it off at night it wouldn't be able to drain it. i know i could just unhook it but i was trying for an easyer way. i took the car up to a few shops for test and the guys couldnt find anything that could be making this happen...... i dont have any aftermarket electrionics only my plan cd player. they told me i'd have to leave the car with them so they could try to duplicate what happens. but like i said it some times take up to 5 days or more. so thats like alot of Money i dont have for it to be sitting in there shop on test all day and night. for those who might ask, Yes i have checked all my lights, doors, turnk, but nothing seems to be staying on. :?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

And your battery is clean? It will discharge if its dirty - true!
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

How new is the battery? it could be that the battery just isn't holding its charge, this can happen if the car has spent time sitting without being used...., does the battery stay charged if you disconnect the terminal?
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
pinkmx-3

Post by pinkmx-3 »

well the battery isnt that old at all, almost a full year. and its very clean...no crust stuff or dirt anywhere. and yes with the terminal off it still has its charge
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Hmmm, that is a puzzle!
is your cd player wired correctly?
what about the little light in the hatch?
another thing..., what size is your battery? these babies need a decent size battery with all the crap that they run
are you able to borrow another battery from someone else?
i think a kill switch would be a bit much, both in effort and money, perhaps just pulling a main fuse would work?
i'm surprised that an auto electrician can't find the problem though?!
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Does the car have an anti-theft alarm? Sometimes a faulty alarm will drain the battery.

A good test is to measure the total current draw while the car is shut off.

A competent repair shop will be able to do this procedure, but if the problem is intermittent it may not show up while doing this test.

I agree with Aston Wards. A kill switch is only a temporary solution to the problem.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”