Retarded Cooling Problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Overclock

Retarded Cooling Problem

Post by Overclock »

So, I changed my water pump a few months back and the thermostat a couple of months before that so I'm running out of ideas for things to fix.

The engine temp needle is regularly rising 80% toward the "H" bar when the car is idle and the fans are constantly on when the engine has warmed up. The coolant reservoir is full and both filler caps indicate that there is ample coolant in the system.

Help!
'96 MX-3, KLZE, ZE Curve Neck Intake, KL68 TB, K8 ECU, CAI, KL-02 VAF.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Kevin, I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner when we talked on the phone. How about the rad????? Is it the original??? Perhaps there is a blockage or constriction in the rad that's causing this build-up of pressure and subsequent temperature increase. If you haven't already got the in-line "T" from the heater core return line, then getting one put in and try doing a complete flush to see if it's possible to dislodge anything that may have created a blockage in the rad. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

and also flush out the engine itself. not just the rad. you may have a buildup someplace in the engine.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

vozaday2000 wrote:and also flush out the engine itself. not just the rad. you may have a buildup someplace in the engine.
That's what using the "T" will do. The whole system, engine, rad lines etc will all be flushed. With thermostat removed and housing reconnected, connect garden hose to "T" and open rad drain to flush OR leave rad drain closed, remove overflow tank hose from overflow tank and let pressurized coolant out that way. With the thermostat removed the system should have easy and unobstucted flow ... even through the engine. Oh ya, almost forgot ... ensure that the interior heater temp setting is set to HOT.

Kevin when you were doing your checks when the engine was warmed up, did you confirm that there was sufficient pressure in all of the rad hoses. Theoretically, the pressure in all rad hoses should have been equal. Also, can you confirm that when the engine warmed up that you were getting the correct amount of heat from the interior heater core.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”