Fark'n Car Thieves *Pic added Oct 25*

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
RoundTop

Fark'n Car Thieves *Pic added Oct 25*

Post by RoundTop »

Ok, now I have to say I hope I can make it to TdW...

A stolen car went out of control, a police cruiser hit it to get it off the road and it went... you guessed it...right into my car.

*sigh* I'll be taking it to ICBC tomorrow and then to a shop, but it scrapped my rear bumper, a couple small holder pieces for it, a slight bit of damage to the right rear fender, the body under the hatch was bent, possible damage under that, the driver taillight was smashed (altezza so no insurance coverage on it :( and the right rear tire was driven onto the curb, complete with scaping the rim (and on brand new tires :(

So I HOPE to have my car back for the weekend. I'll get it in the shop tomorrow and hopefully 3.5 days is enough for them to fix it.

James "RoundTop" Magnan
Last edited by RoundTop on October 25th, 2005, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bulaian

Post by bulaian »

well at least you can get brand new stock tali lights and maybe sell them to someone and buy altezzas back?
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

Well, I just got back from icky bicky and the auto shop.

Car is in the shop till next week, so no TdW for me.

I spoke to ICBC and even though the altezzas are not DOT/SAE stamped, they agreed to pay 50%. so I buy a new set and they will pay half. So that is good.

but I'll be out $500 (deductable) for about a month until this stealing a-hole responds/doesn't respond to ICBC's demand for the deductable back (then they pay me anyways)
Taras

Post by Taras »

You are just not having any luck. Time to change a parking spot?
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I don't know much about Canadian insurance laws, but shouldn't they reimburse you for the cost of a set of stock tail lights instead of 1/2 the cost of altezzas? I'm sure the stock tails cost more than the altezzas do and then you take the money and buy altezzas instead of stock. In the US the insurance company pays the body shop for the repair based on the estimate to fix or replace all parts with OEM or aftermarket (but OEM style and quality) parts. I have several times been in this situation: I had an accident and it damaged some of my aftermarket parts. The insurance company paid what it would cost to get the stock part and I came out ahead actually since the part that I had was not stock and still cheaper.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
bulaian

Post by bulaian »

Yes, most canadian insurance companies will reimburse you for the value of all OEM parts. In this situation however, since he wasn't using OEM parts and he said they were not DOT/SAE stamped they can probably make an exception and not give him anything for them if they really wanted to.
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

'sides, I have my OEMs still. so we'll put those back on in the mean time.

And I did change my parking spot, from dark lane to bright street.... d'oh.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

If the police officer made him hit you, then you should get a lawyer..
If the police had not hit him would your car still be fine? Id assume so, so whos really at fault? Should you have to pay a deductable if you had no fault in it?

I was hit from the rear by a drunk old man while I was sitting at a redlight a few years ago. I got out and the man stated "im sorry, I was just tryi'n to eat my Sammich" I told him to look what he did to my car, and he said "I didnt hurt your car". I told him to get out and look. As I walked to the rear of his truck, he takes off. He gets stuck at a redlight in the turning lane and I smile, walk over to his truck mad tell the police on the phone that hes running andf I have his plate numer (reading it from the back of his car while hes stuck at the light). I called my insurance and told them it was a hit and run. I have them the plate numer and the police report number. They provided me a rental car and repaired it at no cost to me.

If you werent at fault, Id be going to the city to make the PD pay for your damages... but thats just me.
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

According to law here, the police have an obligation to remove a dangerous drive from the road whenever it is most safe. They did so.

The blame rests with the driver of the stolen vehicle, regardless of the PD position. I know, it is counter-intuative, but that is the way it works.

So basically I have to pay out my deductable as it is under my policy's uninsured motorist protection (driving a stolen vehicle negates any insurance they may have had). Then once the name of the offender is released on the case, the insurance company has me come in and sign some paperwork basically telling him "you owe me $500 you bastage". Then by law they are required to wait 22 days for him to respond and try to set up a payment. If he calls in, my insurance company gives me my decuctable back. If he doesn't, once the 22 days is over I sign ANOTHER paper giving them the right to sue in my name, they pay me the deductable and then they sue the jerk.

I agree that it pisses me off, especially since if it was another insured motorist (not a stolen vehicle), I would not have to pay the deductable as the insurance company would just say that the other party will pay it. But because of the way it happened I have to deal with teh suck for a month.

The police involvement simply means they are not gonna question the damage.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

I'd call a lawyer just for legal advice. Safe or not, It could have seriously hurt you. IMO, thats not safe. Wouldnt hurt.
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

uhm...car was parked, I was nowhere near it.

and lawyer would not get me my $500 back any faster, and would cost me.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Custommx3 wrote:If the police officer made him hit you, then you should get a lawyer..
If the police had not hit him would your car still be fine? Id assume so, so whos really at fault? Should you have to pay a deductable if you had no fault in it?

I was hit from the rear by a drunk old man while I was sitting at a redlight a few years ago. I got out and the man stated "im sorry, I was just tryi'n to eat my Sammich" I told him to look what he did to my car, and he said "I didnt hurt your car". I told him to get out and look. As I walked to the rear of his truck, he takes off. He gets stuck at a redlight in the turning lane and I smile, walk over to his truck mad tell the police on the phone that hes running andf I have his plate numer (reading it from the back of his car while hes stuck at the light). I called my insurance and told them it was a hit and run. I have them the plate numer and the police report number. They provided me a rental car and repaired it at no cost to me.

If you werent at fault, Id be going to the city to make the PD pay for your damages... but thats just me.
One thing I have learned is that in Canada, people don’t sue people over a spilt cup of HOT coffee (as advertised) from McDonalds. Or because they are lazy and cant make their own healthy dinner, but have to go out to greasy fast food every night and sue the fast food companies cause of their ignorance, because they and their kids are morbidly Obese because of the food that they eat as well as their eating habits. :)

The only thing a lawyer would be good for is to try and get your 500 bucks back from the thief, but even then it would probably cost more to try to get it back then it would be than to just pay it and then since he’s in jail you would probably never see the money anyways.

That sucks, sorry you cant make the trip. Best of luck
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

Hey Josh, yeah, I'm sorry I can't make it either. But I get my $$ back regardless.

ICBC will pay me even in fool doesn't. Then ICBC (who has lawyers on their staff) sues him into oblivion.
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

Ok, so here is the update... the body shop called today and said that it is still undergoing repair and will call me thurs with another update. ARRRGGHH!!!

Anyways, in the meantime, here at the pics I promised.

This is the civic after the cop car pulled away.

The front of my car being pushed into the 323 (no damage)

Here is the actual hit of my car.

The tire that got pushed up on the curb.

The positioning of the rear damage. No that isn't an imprint of my license plate, but the flash making some fun photography with a shiny surface (in this case a body panel)

Here is a close-up of the damage. nasty.
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

none of the pics worked.

EDIT

checked again and worked this time, sorry
Last edited by vozaday2000 on October 26th, 2005, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”