OBD testing help. 5 CEL flashes, did I do it right?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

OBD testing help. 5 CEL flashes, did I do it right?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

So I did the thing with the paper clip on the OBD box, the check engine light started flashing like it should except that it kept on flashing 5 times. The 5 flashes werent long flashes, they were short so all I got throughout the whole time was a bunch of 5s.

I didnt have the car turned on all the way where the engine was running and even when I did, it flashed 5 times, all the time
I had it on ignition where the belt light, oil light and CEL were on so yeah, I did what I was suppose to do
All I know is that my car is hitting 5s like Kobe being on fire scoring 42 points againts the Miami Heat last year on December 26... my birthday. My MX3 sure did go on fire :P

Does this code mean anything?
Did I do the test right?
btw, I followed the diagram on my previous thread on where to connect the paper clip
Last edited by Juans_93_MX3 on October 21st, 2005, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

ok now what you do is go to the online manual and on page F2-074 you will see that code 5 is your knock sensor. yes the number of flashes should repeat themselves but there should be a space of about 3-4 seconds between each set of 5 flashes. BTW i also noticed that on this page 5 flashes could also mean code 4 which is the SGT signal camshaft position sensor. ok so you mean that your mx-3 did not start on fire?
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

i dont get it..so the car is fine? it didnt burn?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

you have to look up what the '5 flashes' mean in the online manual!!
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

hgallegos915 wrote:i dont get it..so the car is fine? it didnt burn?
I only put that on there so people would click on my thread
I had this thread posted for a hour and only was veiwed twice.

No the car did not burn
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

you didn't need to say it burned. there probably wasn't that many people on the forum at the time. i was in school and answered when i got home. sometimes it takes time before someone knows what to look for or do. and maybe people don't have computers at work or school they can search. just be patient and somebody will answer
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”