super Low coolent

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
pinkmx-3

super Low coolent

Post by pinkmx-3 »

latley i've been noticing my antifreeze is like hella low. i dont even drive my car that much/ far. i havent seen a leaks any where but i've had to fill it up 2 or 3 time withen the last two months..... any ideas.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

does it smoke
possibly head gasket is toast
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
pinkmx-3

Post by pinkmx-3 »

i dont know i havent really see any i'll have to keep an eye out.
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Had a similar thing occur to me, was frustrating as hell, turned out i had a split under the std oil cooler, would only only leak intermittantly...., and never at home on the drive!
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: super Low coolent

Post by jschrauwen »

pinkmx-3 wrote:latley i've been noticing my antifreeze is like hella low. i dont even drive my car that much/ far. i havent seen a leaks any where but i've had to fill it up 2 or 3 time withen the last two months..... any ideas.
Had to fill it up??? :shock: Any puddles on the ground after it's been parked for a while? When was the last time time your coolant was flushed/serviced? Are you re-filling to the upper level line? How long/km's does it take before getting to the lower level line?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

could be your radiator cap isnt holding pressure. Then you wouldnt see any leaks. They r about $27 cdn from mazda.
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
pinkmx-3

Re: super Low coolent

Post by pinkmx-3 »

jschrauwen wrote:
pinkmx-3 wrote:latley i've been noticing my antifreeze is like hella low. i dont even drive my car that much/ far. i havent seen a leaks any where but i've had to fill it up 2 or 3 time withen the last two months..... any ideas.
Had to fill it up??? :shock: Any puddles on the ground after it's been parked for a while? When was the last time time your coolant was flushed/serviced? Are you re-filling to the upper level line? How long/km's does it take before getting to the lower level line?
Well like said i haveent seen any puddles any were, and not even after stoping somewhere. The coolant hasnt been flushed for a long time as far as i know so i know i do need to do that. i really cant get a perfect time to when it empys up cause i dont drive it ever day. i'd got to the store, my moms house one day and it would maybe sit for about 3-4 days before i'd drive it again.
pinkmx-3

Post by pinkmx-3 »

93-Spec-Edn wrote:could be your radiator cap isnt holding pressure. Then you wouldnt see any leaks. They r about $27 cdn from mazda.
not to seem to dumb but how would that make it get low? are u saying it could be squrting out the top or something? if so it hasnt done that.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The more likely possibility is that your waterpump is starting to go bad. There is a small purge hole on the bottom of the waterpump.. as the bearing inside the pump goes bad.. it allows water past it and it drains out the bottom of your waterpump. During the early stages.. not a lot of water comes out.. and if it drips onto a hot exaust pipe.. it will vaporize without leaving a trace or a puddle.. In addition.. this would also only occur while the engine was running and the cooling system is under pressure.

Solution - Rent or buy a cooling system pressure tester. You can get them at Harbor Freight or Napa and at other various places where automotive tools are sold. What this tool does is allow you to pressurize your cooling system while the engine isnt running.. this will then allow you to check for leaks from places like your waterpump and other coolant lines. Small coolant leaks can be very hard to detect in a hot engine bay because they will often evaporate or vaporize the moment the drip escapes. On aluminum.. dried coolant will leave a hard powdery white substance.. it will wipe off easy enough.. but if you see anything like that.. you may find your leak not too far away. Hope this helps.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”