Failed emission test, New Cat How to?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
eno

Failed emission test, New Cat How to?

Post by eno »

Failed e test in Texas HC and NO for 93 GS w/ K8.
The car has a CAI, burns 1 p/1500 mils oil, and and rusty Cat.
I am think to replace the Cat before i go for the retest.
Anyone can tell how to replace the Cat? which one to buy(better a direct bolt on)? what's the dimension of the Cat ? Any tips to pass are welcome...hold on till swap.

Thanks
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

go to your local exhaust shop and have them replace it.

if yours is original, its probably rusted & screwed anyways. removing the bolts is probably impossible at htis point. You might even need more than just the cat replaced depending on how badly corroded it all is.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Instead of a cat, I recommend a kitten. Get em while they are young so they are still small & flexible and you can install one into the exahust pipe.

:shock:
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
eno

Post by eno »

Midas tried to charge me $500... I 'd like to buy a MegaFlow Catalytic Converter and get a muffler shop to install. Which model show I buy?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

This may help you.
PATDIESEL wrote:My suggestions, replace the original cat and O2 sensors.
Sound idea. Since I already have a Magna Flow polished SS oval twin tip muffler, here's what I've come up with to make a complete system;

I like Tatsu's (?) recommendation of a resonator/pre-silencer
Magna Flow part#14416 - 2.5" in/out, 4" round, 14"body, total length 20"

I'm up in the air for Cat's and not knowing what the OEM dimensions are, these were the 2 I was considering;
Magna Flow part#94306, SS Cat, 2.5" in/out, oval 4"x7", body 12", total length16"
or
Magna Flow Part#54306, SS Cat, 2.5" in/out, round 4", body 9", total length 13"
http://www.car-sound.com/catalog/universal/mirror.aspx
Recommendations would be appreciated.

Now for O2 sensors, it seems the best bang for the buck is the NTK (NGK) units from Nopi Online.
MX3 - Universal 4 wire part# 973+0269 @ $42.87usd ea.
http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/dsp ... X-3%201992

MX6 - OEM replacement part# 973+0555 Left side (???) @ $60.07usd ea.
http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/dsp ... X-6%201993
MX6 - OEM replacement part# 973+0311 Right side (???) @ $72.50 usd ea.
MX6 - Universal 4 wire part# 973+0269 @ $42.87usd ea.

As you can see the MX6 universal is the same as the MX3 universal. I'm assuming that the universal ones do not have the applicable connectors and may be of a different colour scheme, if memory of a previous thread serves me. Since we are interchangeable with the MX6, I thought I'd be doing myself a bigger favour by going with the MX6 OEM replacements since they were designed for the 2.5L engine. I'm going to assume that because they are an OEM replacement they should have the correct connectors. I'm still not certain as to why or how they are identified as LEFT and RIGHT and the pricing difference. Perhaps someone could clarify that too.
Just as a kicker - called NopiOnline to get specifics on O2's wrt shipping and that. They said they won't sell directly to me in canada but must go through one of their Canada outlets. That particular outlet (Concepts on Wheels 1-866 500-5469, in Toronto) was closed and I'll have to wait til Monday for info on that. Nopi did tell me that they will sell directly to US residents. Will have to see on Monday from Concepts on Wheels how much of a Canadian mark-up it's going to be. Anyway your recommendations are sollicitted.

Subsequently, I purchased part#94306 - Polished SS Cat and part#14416 - SS Resonator. Took them today to a quality Muffler shop and 30 minute labour and misc. parts (clamps) - total bill for install - $38.00cdn
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

:shock:
Friends are just enemies who lack the testicular fortitude to kill you.

I'm a 2min man in a 1min universe

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

500 dllrs is krap... just buy the universal kat..go to any NON name brand store and ask them to replace it for you... shouldnt be more than 150 to do so... at midas and these so called name brand places...ou are only paying for the name.. It be bad azz if you are at a border city..mexico charges like 10 dllrs to replace it..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
eno

Post by eno »

Emission test passed :D
Bought magnaflow91005 from justmufflers.com and have it welded for 70 dollars. THis is not a pretty welding job :evil: but it works for now.

The oem one is about 16" long, therefore a 16"long Magnaflow may work better for our car. the room is also plenty for a larger volumne. But again, the short one works for emission purpose.

Thanks for all the help...eno
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

i payed 40 dllrs to pass emissions in tx.. but shhh.. Im sure i wouold not pass... japanese engine... no egr...no kat converter.... obx muffler... doh o.0
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Put your car in diagnostic mode, jumper the ten+gnd. I'll bet money you'll pass. Just make sure your not throwing a bunch of codes or pull your check engine bulb so the tester doesn't suspect anything.

I think this will work because these motors run super rich from factory, and they get really lean in diagnostic mode. If you got a couple tries give it a go.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Rick Johnson wrote:Put your car in diagnostic mode, jumper the ten+gnd. I'll bet money you'll pass. Just make sure your not throwing a bunch of codes or pull your check engine bulb so the tester doesn't suspect anything.

I think this will work because these motors run super rich from factory, and they get really lean in diagnostic mode. If you got a couple tries give it a go.
Rick, where do you find this stuff out. Inside pipeline to the Mazda techies?? Is this a for sure thing - ie, has anyone tried this and it worked?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”