Custom ECU's and the ZE swap Fiasco

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
UKMX-3

Custom ECU's and the ZE swap Fiasco

Post by UKMX-3 »

Can anyone recommend a way around the problem i am anticipating with my 2.5 swap.

Okay, i have almost everything planned and ordered for my new swap, but im really worried about the ecu problems that I know will occur if i dont have a plan, which at this time i dont.

I have a 1997 uk model k8, with the obd2 kit.

I have a 1996 J-spec KL-ZE with no ecu, no Maf.

Is it possible and Practical to use the JE50 MAF and have the stock ecu remapped to run the KL-ZE?

Has anyone successfully done this or am i dreaming.

Everyone seems to know about doing the older models but this swap seems to be a mystery to most people.

I've searched on this topic but there are so many threads that contridict each other i thougt id try again.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

I havent heard of an obd2 ecu being remapped to ze specs. You could look into megasquirt or something of that sort.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

A remap won't work since all the Jap spec fuel maps people have are for OBD1, and you have an OBD2 computer and harness. It'd be like loading McIntosh software on your Compaq computer. Just get a KL02 (part number) VAF from a V6 MX6 or 626 and see how that does. A few people run a TAD rich with that setup, so an adjustable fuel pressure regulator might be needed afterwards to lower fuel pressure. But just do the VAF for now and see how that does first before you throw money at the wall for nothing.
UKMX-3

Post by UKMX-3 »

This is really worrying me, after losing one complete engine to a "freak Accident" I dont wanna take any chances.

Has Anyone Done an OBD2 KLZE swap?

Would doing a DE swap be any easier?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

lakersfan1 wrote:A remap won't work since all the Jap spec fuel maps people have are for OBD1, and you have an OBD2 computer and harness. It'd be like loading McIntosh software on your Compaq computer. Just get a KL02 (part number) VAF from a V6 MX6 or 626 and see how that does. A few people run a TAD rich with that setup, so an adjustable fuel pressure regulator might be needed afterwards to lower fuel pressure. But just do the VAF for now and see how that does first before you throw money at the wall for nothing.
I like that idea. I originally started on my ZE with a KL01 ECU (MX6, 626) and a KL02 VAF also (MX6, 626). Since those were all of an OBD 1 I had no problems (read - plug and play). I would consider the same route, albeit, that you source an OBD 2 (MX6, 626) ECU and the same for the VAF. The differences I found between that type of set-up and my KL31/JE50 set-up appeared negligable and the switch-over was transparent. That might be your easiest route. Magasquirt N' Spark may be another viable alternative. I believe that there's still a group buy happening on that item on Probetalk. It's worthwhile to research that since Megasquirt can be applied to numerous vehicles. Try pm'ing mmac in the UK (I believe) also. He seemed very adept in this area. Hope this helps.
john
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

We did a swap in a obd2 mx3 herein london car ran like balls cause the
there are a couple o2 sensors that are different and a couple other wiring differences.

however i didnt change any of the wiring differences that i noticed when
i did this swap. The owner said he will take it to an autoelectric place.

i believe ian in the UK(on this board) as well has diagrams displaying the differences between the 2 systems
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

you might wanna consider doing a Megasquirt install.
That way you dont need the VAF/MAF etc.
It`s about $249-349 (depending on hardware mods) preassembled, or $140 if you assemble it yourself.

Theres also LOADS of info on doing this, Steve (Babyblue) have just installed one on his built klze.
I`m doing this on my K8 for sure (almost got all the parts now) :)

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Mazderati

Post by Mazderati »

Further comments on OBD2 KLZE conversions would be welcome as I am considering the same thing on my 96 GS. Links too please.

Thanks for the feedback!

8) 8) :lol: :lol:
96 GS, 17" Niche's, Falken 40's. Eibach springs, Tokico S/R struts, Ractive front & rear strutbars. Supertrapp exhaust, K & N intake. Soundstream Reference, JL & Eclipse audio.

Green means "Go", Yellow means, "Go Faster"!!
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

[/quote] I like that idea. I originally started on my ZE with a KL01 ECU (MX6, 626) and a KL02 VAF also (MX6, 626). Since those were all of an OBD 1 I had no problems (read - plug and play). I would consider the same route, albeit, that you source an OBD 2 (MX6, 626) ECU and the same for the VAF.[/quote]
the obd2 mx6,probe,626, dont plug in to the obd2 mx-3 harness.

There should be a lot of info about megasquirt on pt. I notice that a lot of people are selling off their ze ecu's and vaf's and going Megasquirt.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

mxmaz wrote:the obd2 mx6,probe,626, dont plug in to the obd2 mx-3 harness.
I'm sorry, I didn't know that. Now that's not like Mazda to do something like that???? My appologies UKMX3, no wonder you were getting confused. People like me don't help matters. Can you say "Welcome MegaSquirt" :wink:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

I did three obd2 klze installs, you should be good to go with a kl01 vaf and a fpr, the last swap I did was about 2 months ago and let me tell you that thing moves!! I was a longneck klze into an mx-3 though.

Bastian
17 inch bba racings rims, apex lowering springs, laser muffler, boost steering wheel, mazdaspeed seats, black altezza's, testpipe, oh and a polished klze with an upgraded clutch and a kl36 ecu.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Black Magic wrote:I did three obd2 klze installs, you should be good to go with a kl01 vaf and a fpr, the last swap I did was about 2 months ago and let me tell you that thing moves!! I was a longneck klze into an mx-3 though.
Bastian
Bastian, which ECU that's OBD2 friendly will work with that KL02 VAF and an after market FPR?
PS; Clear covers arrive yet?? :wink:
mike_moss

Post by mike_moss »

This thread just scared the s--- out of me. I thought I researched into doing my swap, but never saw anything about OBD-II until after I was done. I'll be going KLZE in the future, I guess I'll have to think something up, throw caution to the wind or pick up a MegaSquirt 'n' Spark as stated above.

Keep the info coming, it's much appreciated!!!
2001 Mazda MP3 | 1993 Mazda Protegé GT
My MX-3.com Feedback | My CarDomain Sites
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

An obd2 klze swap always means you got to fiddle around with the sensors and management to get all the power out of the klze and to get it running right. But if you know what your doing this swap shouldn't be tooo hard. I haven't checked the ecu the last time, but it was just the ecu that came in the '97 mx-3.

Didn't get the lenses yet, but I guess it'll take some time because of the distance, let me know what you want for them.

Bastian
17 inch bba racings rims, apex lowering springs, laser muffler, boost steering wheel, mazdaspeed seats, black altezza's, testpipe, oh and a polished klze with an upgraded clutch and a kl36 ecu.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”