Changing headlight bulbs

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Mazdaspeed96743

Changing headlight bulbs

Post by Mazdaspeed96743 »

Hi guys again I just wanted to know if you could change a headlight bulb on an MX-3 without removing the front bumper (Changing bulb with the car hood open)
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

yes :confused2:
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

GregoryChristian wrote:yes :confused2:
:werd:
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

take front bumper off? ya do that , also drop the trans too, its kinda in the way. LOL
no man, you simply unscrew plastic ring on back of headlight housing and bulb socket pops out
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

I would reccomened taking it to a Mazda dealer because this job can be very tricky and cost you more in the long run than it is worth. I mean what if you don't get it installed properly then you go down the road in the middle of the night at 60mph and bam no lights next thing you know you are upside down in a ditch and a perfectly good mx-3 has been destroyed.
Actually that is not very likely just do what has been mentioned above and good luck
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
Mazdaspeed96743

mitmaks wrote:take front bumper off? ya do that , also drop the trans too, its kinda in the way. LOL
no man, you simply unscrew plastic ring on back of headlight housing and bulb socket pops out

:lol:
Mazdaspeed96743

V8KOMX3 wrote:I would reccomened taking it to a Mazda dealer because this job can be very tricky and cost you more in the long run than it is worth. I mean what if you don't get it installed properly then you go down the road in the middle of the night at 60mph and bam no lights next thing you know you are upside down in a ditch and a perfectly good mx-3 has been destroyed.
Actually that is not very likely just do what has been mentioned above and good luck
:shock:
Mazdaspeed96743

Okay thank you so much guys. This is actually my first time figuring out how to change a headlight bulb and I heard that you have to align it a certain way :? but I think its going to be easy.. I'll tell you guys how it went when I get the bulbs :)
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

Mazdaspeed96743 wrote:Okay I think its going to be easy.. I'll tell you guys how it went when I get the bulbs :)

keep us updated on your progress ..... :wink:
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Mazdaspeed96743 wrote:Okay thank you so much guys. This is actually my first time figuring out how to change a headlight bulb and I heard that you have to align it a certain way :? but I think its going to be easy.. I'll tell you guys how it went when I get the bulbs :)
:? I can't remember if I was like that when I was 16. I think auto shop in grade 9 and 10 was a big help. :)
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

oh ya dont touch glass lense by hand, itll make it burn out real fast
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

I forgot to ask this but what kinda bulbs are you going to use. Also thanks for having a sense of humor when we razz you like that.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
Mazdaspeed96743

mitmaks wrote:oh ya dont touch glass lense by hand, itll make it burn out real fast
Oh yeah know? Ive heard that some bulbs burn out once there is human oil touched on them. thanks for reminding me! It would be such a waste installing a bulb then it ends up not working because I touched the glass lens.
Mazdaspeed96743

V8KOMX3 wrote:I forgot to ask this but what kinda bulbs are you going to use. Also thanks for having a sense of humor when we razz you like that.
:lol: heheh Whats up man?, Sorry I haven't checked this site for a while but anyways im getting 9004 xenon bulbs for my MX. But you know what now? Ive noticed my car has a flutter type lense headlights so dang I don't think its going to work very well :( but eh, I'll give em a try!....
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Ive heard that some bulbs burn out once there is human oil touched on them.
the oil off your fingers reflects the heat back onto the filament making them work at higher temperatures than designed.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”